Why become a member? ×

Anybody using Keyscape?

EBS_freak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slYbmxaBo-I

Been waiting for this a long time and finally I got some time with it courtesy of a friend that I play in a band with.

Wow wow wow.... Incredible. Better than I ever could have imagined. The instruments are simply to die for - I just cannot see how you can improve on this. The attention to detail is simply incredible.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1476777262' post='3157059']
It's just samples. Granted they are probably very good samples (it's a bit difficult to tell from a YouTube video) and lots of them, but still just samples.
[/quote]
Its not just samples though - its the way that they have captured the touch of the original instruments. You can't play this product down as "just" samples.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1476777262' post='3157059']
It's just samples. Granted they are probably very good samples (it's a bit difficult to tell from a YouTube video) and lots of them, but still just samples.
[/quote]

Pretty much everything is samples or synthesis these days in keyboard land... The days of lugging a B3, Leslie, Rhodes and a Clav to a gig are long gone for 99% of us..

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1476781929' post='3157107']
Pretty much everything is samples or synthesis these days in keyboard land... The days of lugging a B3, Leslie, Rhodes and a Clav to a gig are long gone for 99% of us..
[/quote]
Indeed - and the tweak ability of keycape enables you to capture... or even remove... ever little nuance. So with a mac and a controller keyboard, you have all those instruments at your disposal... without the hassle of actually micing them up to make them sound good.

Why would you take out the real thing when the emulation sounds better than what you'd be able to achieve with the real thing?

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1476782515' post='3157117']
Why would you take out the real thing when the emulation sounds better than what you'd be able to achieve with the real thing?
[/quote]

Agreed.
The only reason I'd do it for would be the physicality of the keys and their response to my playing.
Twould never be for the sound.

For example:
My real Rhodes with my amp and my speakers (hugely expensive stuff) did not sound as good as my electronic Rhodes emulation with built in Janus amped speakers emulation - through that same amp and speakers.

However, the MIDI keyboard did not play as luvverly buttery as the real Rhodes keyboard did,
I had no money to add a real Janus to my real Rhodes, and after long, careful consideration, the emulation stayed and the real Rhodes went.
I also saved some backs by this.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1476827928' post='3157696']
However, the MIDI keyboard did not play as luvverly buttery as the real Rhodes keyboard did,
I had no money to add a real Janus to my real Rhodes, and after long, careful consideration, the emulation stayed and the real Rhodes went.
I also saved some backs by this.
[/quote]

The beauty is, you can find many boards with different actions... there's bound to be something to tickle your fancy.

Mind you, with regards to keyboard actions, I don't think I have played two Rhodes that feel identical...!

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1476833326' post='3157729']
The beauty is, you can find many boards with different actions... there's bound to be something to tickle your fancy.

Mind you, with regards to keyboard actions, I don't think I have played two Rhodes that feel identical...!
[/quote]

Aye. My personal project right now is to get Hammond action keys in addition to the fully weighted, semi-weighted and synth action boards I already have. After that; medium heavy fully weighted and light fully weighted boards.

I'm sooo looking into Keyscape!

IMS the Rhodes changes its action over time, so I can see that point. My hard-to-play Yamaha KX88 does the same, but it fits certain pieces that mine is still heavy.