Why become a member? ×

Harley Benton 1x15 and 2x10, anyone used one? (Went for two 15s)

MarkG3

I want to get back into playing with a band, so anyone got any experience with either of these?

I'm looking to either get 2 1x15s or 2 2x10s.

Thats my budget maxed either way. Thought about other cabs like trace elliot and ashdown but all a bit heavier than these or more than what I can afford

The reviews seem to all be good. I'll run a Markbass little mark blackline 250 into them.

I'm hoping to play a mix of genres too

https://m.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_bb115t.htm?o=0&ref=mmc_a_0&search=1476721129

https://m.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_bb210t.htm

Edited by MarkG3

The 2x10 is supposidly based on a Eden design with just enough changes not to be sued.
Its supposed to be decent ply wood. And well built.
Most people replace the drives with delta 10a eminance ones.

The standard drivers are very average at best they get the job done but I doubt they would last a good hammering too often. I know this as I bought two drives from said 2x10 cab.
But with your mb head I think they would last.

I bet its a good deal for the price if there not being hammered will do the job for a bit. Again your amp I doubt would damage them.
They have better specs than some lower end ashdown cabs. Higher spl etc.
The 2x10 is the one to get apprently.

Edited by Twincam

I would say go for it...i have one that i have swapped the drivers out for 2 oberton 10B200's. This did make a great sounding cab but if i were you i would leave the Harley Benton as it is, it sounds a lot better than more expensive 2x10's that I've tried.

Check out this thread on talk bass for everything you need to know on the Harley Benton 2x10....

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/harley-benton-bb210t-driver-upgrade.1163109/#post-17553318

[quote name='MarkG3' timestamp='1476885153' post='3158109']
Thanks everyone, it also seems people are using both the 1x15 and 2x10 together. Would that have any benefits over either 2 1x15s or 2 2x10?
[/quote]

Not really any benefit, most will argue that you should use matched speakers.

[quote name='MarkG3' timestamp='1476891409' post='3158186']
Yea I thought that too. In easy to understand terms, which would move more air?
[/quote]

Hard to say without seeing the specs for the actual drivers, not just the basic specs for the cabs.

Also - it's only moderately recent logic that would tell you not to mix speaker sizes, 10 years ago nearly everyone was using 10's mixed with 15's - it was completely the done thing. In fact many, many people are still doing this & sounding great.

Edited by Lw.

Obviously it's your choice/your money etc... but size of speaker is really a less than ideal indicator of what a cab will sound like; unless your previous cabs were exactly the same as these ones then they're going to sound different.

Thomann have a decent returns policy; I would probably buy one of each & try them out - if they sound nice together keep them both, if you prefer the sound of one over the other return the one you don't like & buy a second of the good one. It's one of the joys of distance buying.

Edited by Lw.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]A wise google translation should of said.[/font][/color]
[b][size=5][color=#282828]"Often musicians and any Poser express derogatory first if you arrive by Harley Benton equipment"[/color][/size][/b]

[size=4][b][color=#282828]Hahaha..[/color][/b][/size]

[b][color=#282828]If you want to move more air go for the 15's.. i know everyone talks about the 10's v 15's v 12's thing, but in real life with this brand and spec of cabs the 15 will put out more low end...if thats what you like!!![/color][/b]

[quote name='Fonkbass' timestamp='1476905385' post='3158411']
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]A wise google translation should of said.[/font][/color]
[b][size=5][color=#282828]"Often musicians and any Poser express derogatory first if you arrive by Harley Benton equipment"[/color][/size][/b]

[size=4][b][color=#282828]Hahaha..[/color][/b][/size]

[b][color=#282828]If you want to move more air go for the 15's.. i know everyone talks about the 10's v 15's v 12's thing, but in real life with this brand and spec of cabs the 15 will put out more low end...if thats what you like!!![/color][/b]
[/quote]

Haha :D

The guitarist in my band used to use Harley Benton cabs a while ago, and he's very picky with his gear. He replaced his drivers as seems to be the norm, but what he did notice was that the quality of the wiring was some of the best he'd ever seen. I was thinking of getting some a while back which is why the conversation about them came up.

Enjoy them man, by all accounts you're getting great value for money! :)

[quote name='chrisd783' timestamp='1477093897' post='3159884']
The guitarist in my band used to use Harley Benton cabs a while ago, and he's very picky with his gear. He replaced his drivers as seems to be the norm...
[/quote]

That's interesting because one of my guitarists uses the HB 2x12 guitar cabs because of the good drivers they come with (making the cabs great value for money)!

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1477132509' post='3160022']

That's interesting because one of my guitarists uses the HB 2x12 guitar cabs because of the good drivers they come with (making the cabs great value for money)!
[/quote]

I'm guessing and this is just a maybe that bass drivers by nature work harder and being the frequencies they cover etc etc that there are some elements a bit harder to design right.
Ive just replaced a Harley benton driver after thinking it was broken for a Fane one.
There was nothing wrong with the HB driver in the end and it sounded ok I wouldn't call them rubbish just not as good as other brands models. The Fane I replaced it with does sound a bit better.

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1477132509' post='3160022']

[/quote]

They do 1x12" and 2x12" guitar cabs with Celestion Vintage 30s for about the same amount you'd pay for the drivers alone. Are those the ones?

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1477151817' post='3160202']

They do 1x12" and 2x12" guitar cabs with Celestion Vintage 30s for about the same amount you'd pay for the drivers alone. Are those the ones?
[/quote]

That'll be them. Sound good to me!

So now have two 1x15s,sound nice and big. Didn't play it super loud but seems to handle the low b well too which is good to know.

Weight wise they are for me on the limit, 22ish kg but can use two arms to make it a lot easier to carry.

Cosmetically they both seem good and can't see anything obvious.

Tried it with my G3 and my stingray sterling sub 5,whatever it's called and both did well.

Currently in progress of putting a band together so won't be able to really crank them up for a month or two but will definitely post in here about them.

I think the only thing I've noticed is if you have your ear faced towards the tweeter there's a bit of hiss but turn to look at it face on and it pretty much goes. The description says it's a variable tweeter like the 2x10 but the 15s don't have one, which I would have liked as with every other cab I've had with a tweeter I've turned it off.

But overall I'm happy with them :)