Why become a member? ×

Cleaning pole pieces

ped

I'm tempted to clean up the magnets in these pickups. They're Alnico 8 type. Someone suggested using an eraser on them which didn't work. I don't fancy taking them apart or using anything drastic; I actually rather like the 'mojo' but open to any suggestions if there's something worth trying?

Cheers
ped

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1476722015' post='3156653']
I was recommend to use a glass-fibre eraser - I bought one from Maplins but haven't tried it yet!
[/quote]

Let me know how it goes if you do. I'm going to keep an eye out for an ink rubber at work on Weds...

WD40 should clean those up nicely... or lighter fluid, or a little big of brasso on a rag. Don't be tempted to use anything like wirewool as you'll never get the metal debris away from the magnets.

Edited by EBS_freak

I'll take a picture of some I did recently. I used one of the craft glass-fibre pens. It took a lot of rubbing down to get the poles shiny but worked in the end. Then to protect the poles from future damage, I applied clear nail varnish giving them a glassy finish. Finally I treated each set to new pickup covers. They looked really great!

A month later I took them out and replaced them with EMGs... lol..

Thanks chaps. I've tried nabbing a proper type rubber from work but nobody seems to have one. I think I'll try one of those pencils Dood. Is it easy to avoid scratches with one of those? I assume it's not too abrasive in the sense like sandpaper or wire wool (shudder) would be?

Well I just tried scrunched up tin foil on a match head and it's done a fair job of brightening up the dullest ones. Looking a bit cleaner now. I may try a fibre pen at some point but I don't think it'll get much better and I definitely don't want to scratch the covers so perhaps I'll leave it there.