Why become a member? ×

So I finally gigged with a Fender - Part 2, the Precision gig!

molan

Having got round to using a Flea signature Jazz at my last gig I thought I should go 'all out' and use a Precision at the next one.

Decided to stick with my 'artist signature' theme and used a Custom Shop Clayton P this time around.

It was always going to be an interesting comparison because I own, and have gigged a lot, a Lull P that was built for Adam Clayton in a gold flake finish.

The Fender CS is visually quite similar apart from the flashy pearl blocks instead of the plain black of the Lull.

It was a bit of an odd gig because we played a huge hall to a decent number of people but had a very serious volume restriction in place - the organiser actually jumped on stage during the first number and insisted we stop playing until we turned down (and we're really not that loud!).

Anyway, the CS P was great fun to play. It has a J nut but the neck is way chunkier than the Lull and deeper than almost anything else I own.

Action is set low and the tiny vintage frets made it a breeze to play. I was able to confidently play stuff without thinking that I often have to concentrate on.

The Abigail Ybarra pickups have a lot more low end and overall power than the Lull and balance from strong to strong is excellent. I sometimes find low notes on the G string are too thin and reedy but the CS P was really full and meaty :)

I used the same Monique, Demeter, Bergantino rig as last time with the Flea but the CS P had a lot more depth and punch - felt like I could hear every note really well, especially any mistakes, lol.

It's definitely been a fun experience using Fenders live after years of owning them but only rehearsing or playing at home.

Will definitely try the P again at the next gig where I'll be able to jack the volume up a bit - plus the gold glitter finish makes it just such a great stage bass :)

Edit - for anyone who hasn't seen the AC CS Precision, here's the full package:

Edited by molan

Firstly NICE BASS!!! I have found with any P bass I have owned over the years that I love the sound live, it seems to just sit perfectly and like you, I can hear the notes so much clearer. The issue I always find is that for some reason I hate the sound in rehearsal rooms and when I practice and play at home.

I think the ideal for me is to have a nice PJ that could do the P thing live but then dial in some bridge pickup for home and rehearsals and more disco type stuff.

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1476787737' post='3157184']
Firstly NICE BASS!!! I have found with any P bass I have owned over the years that I love the sound live, it seems to just sit perfectly and like you, I can hear the notes so much clearer. The issue I always find is that for some reason I hate the sound in rehearsal rooms and when I practice and play at home.

I think the ideal for me is to have a nice PJ that could do the P thing live but then dial in some bridge pickup for home and rehearsals and more disco type stuff.
[/quote]

Nice bass indeed. Agree with NJE. Out in the room, where it counts, a P just seems to sound right. I have a Mex PJ, which is more versatile, but it doesn't quite do the classic P sound. Close, but not quite there.

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1476881077' post='3158043']

Nice bass indeed. Agree with NJE. Out in the room, where it counts, a P just seems to sound right. I have a Mex PJ, which is more versatile, but it doesn't quite do the classic P sound. Close, but not quite there.
[/quote]interested in your pj comment

I too have a mex passive pj and playing with just the p pup, it sounds like a p

I can't understand why it wouldn't sound like a p?