Why become a member? ×

What's the pinnacle, in your view?

Funky Dunky

Some great responses here, thanks! Some I know and agree with, others I don't know and will have to listen to. For me, 'I was made to love her' is up there. It's simply exquisite and just a wonderful line with that unique Jamerson feel. Some of the Bernard Edwards lines are incredible, too - I prize feel over technique, and Bernatd gets me every time. Mark King's line on The Chinese Way still floors me, as well. There are a few, and I will no doubt visit back and add more to the thread.

At the age of fourteen I thought the bass solo in My Generation was amazing, and it inspired me to choose bass over guitar.

There are many great bass players I like and admire, but my favourites are John Entwistle and Norman Watt-Roy, and yes, Rhythm Stick is probably my favourite bass line of all time.

So my choice is Rhythm Stick, it just works so well with the song.

Roscoe Beck's work on the the first Robben Ford and the Blue Line album does it for me. So many different techniques and styles, absolutely nailed. The guitar and drum work work are equally stunning too.

The first piece that made me go, "Wow!" though would probably be John Entwistle on either Live At Leeds or Quadrophenia.

Edited by ezbass

I'd really struggle to tie it down to one Bassline...but my Bass hero is probably Mike Watt. A distinctive player with an amazingly varied body of work and a fantastic work ethic.

Both as a player and as a regular civilian, when I'm confronted with a problem of a musical nature or something in "real life", I find myself asking "What would Watt do?".

[font=Calibri][size=2]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]For me it has to be the main riff from Joy Division's Love will tear us apart.[/font][/size][/size][/font]
[font=Calibri][size=2]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Compared to many of the suggestions so far, it's a more simplistic riff but in no way is it any less a worthwhile contender for bass playing perfection - In my humble opinion, of course.[/font][/size][/size][/font][font=Calibri][size=2]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The simple melodic line played in unison with the synth does it for me every time. [/font][/size][/size][/font][font=Calibri][size=2]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]It's a typical Peter Hook bass line, simple yet melodic and instantly memorable, so much so that you can hear it once and still be humming it months later. [/font][/size][/size][/font]

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1476799921' post='3157342']
Roscoe Beck's work on the the first Robben Ford and the Blue Line album does it for me. So many different techniques and styles, absolutely nailed. The guitar and drum work work are equally stunning too.

[/quote]
That's a very good call

I would add JPJ on The Lemon Song & In My Time Of Dying as well as Mars Cowling on the Pat Travers live album (Go For What You Know).

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1476798757' post='3157327']
At the age of fourteen I thought the bass solo in My Generation was amazing, and it inspired me to choose bass over guitar.

There are many great bass players I like and admire, but my favourites are John Entwistle and Norman Watt-Roy, and yes, Rhythm Stick is probably my favourite bass line of all time.

So my choice is Rhythm Stick, it just works so well with the song.
[/quote]

It is a barometer of sorts, too. If someone can play Rhythm Stick, they can play a bit. A bass line which is harder than it sounds.

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1476803696' post='3157397']
Glen Cornick on the early Jethro Tull albums. A great musical bassist who's lines defined a lot of the tracks. Not complex but so inventive and melodic.
[/quote]

+1.

Great lines...great bassist. :)

For me it would have to be either Pino playing "Wherever I Lay My Hat" or Mr Edwards playing the solo on "Everybody Dance" but I may change my mind tomorrow and go for "Masterblaster" or "Sir Duke" or "Rhythm Stick" or "Party Fears Too"....so many great basslines so little time!

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1476808401' post='3157463']

It is a barometer of sorts, too. If someone can play Rhythm Stick, they can play a bit. A bass line which is harder than it sounds.
[/quote]

I say this as someone who can't play rhythm stick. But surely there many many famous great bass players who couldn't also play it and could more than "just play a bit"? Just like many famous bass players can't slap etc.

But back to the original question, to me there are loads of pinnacle bass lines some complex some very simple.
Potrait of Tracey is up there I think.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1476812429' post='3157523']

I say this as someone who can't play rhythm stick. But surely there many many famous great bass players who couldn't also play it and could more than "just play a bit"? Just like many famous bass players can't slap etc.

[/quote]

Oh God, absolutely. Surely you didn't think I meant that if you CAN'T play Rhythm Stick, you're no good? Apologies for any confusion, but this is not what I said or meant at all.

I will add this from Ozrics. The bass playing is just awsome. Nothing too complicated, but when I think of groove, I think of this. He just lays this bassline down very well with great feel and impecable timing. http://youtu.be/T9BD3JS2DRI

Edited by bubinga5