Why become a member? ×

What's the pinnacle, in your view?

Funky Dunky

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1476818111' post='3157597']
It is a very hard question i have no idea if it is a pinnacle, but if I could play The Real Me perfectly, I will be very happy
[/quote]One of the best examples of JE's playing IMO; love it.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1476808401' post='3157463']
It is a barometer of sorts, too. If someone can play Rhythm Stick, they can play a bit. A bass line which is harder than it sounds.
[/quote]I've not tried playing it yet, I would like to have a go at it when I've got a spare couple of years to work on it, :unsure: seriously though, I could probably learn to play it after a while, but I almost certainly wouldn't play it with the feel and timing like Norman does.

I admit that my choices of the Ox's solo in My Generation and NWR's Rhythm Stick are not as technically brilliant as some of the other choices, but for me, great basslines are great because they work so well in a song like Norman's, or are fresh and new like the Ox's was at the time (1965). :)

For me it's never about flash but feel and so I'll throw in a few Lee Sklar lines from his James Taylor days... JT's version of How Sweet It Is To Be Loved By You - any time I play this song, it's his line not the original that I have I never my head. Then there's Your Smiling Face, a bass line that is so full of joy it just makes me grin from ear to ear. Neither are technically complex but each is just perfect to my ears.

Throw in Good Times, of course, along with Thin Lizzy's Dancing In The Moonlight, Johnny and Johnny The Fox Meets Jimmy The Weed, The Enemy Within by Rush and Dearg Doom by Horslips alongside a smattering of Chris Squire... and that's all the basslines I would ever need it stuck on a desert island.

http://youtu.be/zls8DFx9UCw

http://youtu.be/7Fsfod891J0

Edited by TrevorR

[quote name='grayn' timestamp='1476792801' post='3157239']
For me it's got to be Chris Squire, particularly on Close To The Edge.

Driving, counter-melodic, with a wonderful tone and just plain brilliant.
[/quote]

Other stand outs are on Heart of the Sunrise (for the opening few bars alone but Its all good), Yours Is No Disgrace (a masterclass for rock bassists) and Gates of Delerium (just brilliant and showcases what a one off he was).

My big thing has always been the type of line that's so integral to the song that if removed the song would be lost. There are others (Foxton and Norman W-R spring to mind), but Bruce Thomas's work with Elvis Costello just blows me away anew every time.

Also have to add the trio of tracks off Sulk by The Associates with Michael Dempsey on top of his game -Club Country Party Fears 2, Skipping. And from the great No Rest For The Wicked by New Model Army - Stuart Morrow's playing is similarly upfront and busy. Honestly any bass player worth his salt needs to hear this album esp the tracks Frightened, Ambition, My Country and No Rest. Pick style doesn't get any better

Edited by Barking Spiders

Willie Weeks on Little Ghetto Boy - Donny Hathaway. Totally outragous playing.

Anthony Jackson on Clouds - Chaka Khan. He is the master of taming those low notes and making them punch. For execution and intent he's the man.

Jaco Pastorius on Havona - Weather Report. I mean, he tears that one a new one!

Ray Brown on Night Train - Oscar Peterson. Great feel, note choice, and a super solo! He really made the bass sing.

Ron Carter on Passion Dance - McCoy Tyner. Specifically the first few bars of the piano solo. What a hook up with Elvin. Swings like crazy.

[quote name='Jazzjames' timestamp='1476891632' post='3158190']

Ray Brown on Night Train - Oscar Peterson. Great feel, note choice, and a super solo! He really made the bass sing.
[/quote]

Haha... Been listening to that a lot today. My older boy was transcribing Ray's lines and the solo from that tune.
Lovely Bass tone as well..
In fact, superb stuff all round from some of the masters of swing. :)

[quote name='Old Man Riva' timestamp='1476827133' post='3157685']
The one that does it for me is John Paul Jones and Ramble On.

Bags of melody, groovy as you like and supports the song brilliantly.

JPJ's playing encapsulates everything I love about bass in rock/pop music: groovy, funky, melodic, interesting and always adding to the song.
[/quote]

+1

Diamonds on the soles of her shoes - Bakithi Kumalo.

Dynamic, melodic, a beautiful fretless tone, some (rare) tasteful slap and a stunning groove with feel and great rhythmic interest. Also managing to fit a bass part that seems so far removed from stereotypical 'pop' bass lines into exactly that setting just shows how great and well-crafted Bakithi's line on this track is.

Edited by skej21

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1476796248' post='3157297']
Norman Watt-Roy.
If I could choose to be able to play like anyone it would be him.
[/quote]

+1 to this. Saw him with Wilko in Sheffield a couple of weeks back. Absolutely blown away.

For me it's got to be anything played by Michael League, pretty much any of his lines with Snarky Puppy have a tendency to stop me in my tracks even if mid sentence. Can't fault him at all on tone, musicality and general feel. Probably my favourite regular bass player of all time, really nice guy too having met him a few times.

[quote name='grayn' timestamp='1476792801' post='3157239']
For me it's got to be Chris Squire, particularly on Close To The Edge.

Driving, counter-melodic, with a wonderful tone and just plain brilliant.
[/quote]

100% agree - tone, notes, counterpoint, singing. Stunning.