Why become a member? ×

What's the pinnacle, in your view?

Funky Dunky

Much as I often roll my eyes at quests for the greatest this, that or the other - purely as a study in open-mindedness and learning, I ask you this:

What represents bass Nirvana, to your ears? The line to end all lines, or solos, or riffs? What's the part that, every time you hear it, makes you think "It don't get much better than this"? Or the piece of bass-playing genius that first truly dropped your jaw, be it for feel, technique, musicality or whatever?

[quote name='MisterT' timestamp='1476766861' post='3156996']
I'd love to come out with something obscure and complex but for me it boils down to Bernard Edwards' line from Good Times.
[/quote]

Yes thats a great line! As is Greatest Dancer and We are Family!

Mine would be songs from when i was in my bass infancy in the 80's although you could fill a book with the wonderful technical skill of Wooten , King, etc etc.....

So its :

Japan(Mick Kahn) methods of swing
Or
Jaco Pastorius, from the Michel Colombier album, where he linked up with Herbie Hancock, Larry Graham etc......

Bass nirvana, to me, depends on whatever else is going on in the music at the time, and how intelligently the bassist has chosen his/her notes. It could be the simplest thing that shows that they're listening to and playing off their musical surroundings, making the music better.
We're all capable of reaching bass nirvana if we listen and think wisely.

If we're talking about the pinnacle of 'Olympic' bass playing, then Jaco's playing on 'Havona' with Weather Report is perfection to me.

To each their own, but I was never much into the bass as a solo instrument. No doubt there are great artists doing this. For me, while it may not be "nirvana," I have always loved Peter Cetera's playing on the early (first four) CHICAGO albums, especially their first one, "Chicago Transit Authority". His playing was influential in me taking up the bass, and today I often listen to and admire his playing on these albums.

Edited by Coilte

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1476782332' post='3157115']
For 'normal' playing it'd be Anthony Jackson. His playing on everything is amazing [/quote]

He does have a habit of taking your breath away. Superb, I never tire of listening to him.
Even after all these years, I still hear things from him that will floor me.
:)