Why become a member? ×

I saw ABC live last night

police squad

Is it really ABC though with only Martin Fry from the original line-up left?

Interesting to note that the other two original members - Mark White and Steve Singleton - have gone back to being Vice-Versa who were the electronic band that morphed into ABC and IMO were far more interesting musically.

Though they were never a fave band of mine, I think they sound quite distinctive, and have always been listenable at least. Looking back, I think they're probably a lot better than I thought they were "back in the day". Plus, I think they've stood the test of time fairly well. I'm sure I'd have enjoyed being there too. Glad you had a good night :)

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1476782273' post='3157112']
yep it's only martin Fry, has been for ages. Most of the current band have been there since 2008/9.
It's a very good band. Great drummer
[/quote]

What songs are they doing? Anything from "How To Be A Zillionaire"?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1476786631' post='3157170']
What songs are they doing? Anything from "How To Be A Zillionaire"?
[/quote]

they did how to be a millionaire.
they opened with, when Smokey sings (my favourite) and did a lot of the new album, which I have and is very good.
the 2nd set was Lexicon of Love in its entirety and they encore with the look of love (yes, they played it twice)

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1476784242' post='3157136']
Though they were never a fave band of mine, I think they sound quite distinctive, and have always been listenable at least. Looking back, I think they're probably a lot better than I thought they were "back in the day". Plus, I think they've stood the test of time fairly well. I'm sure I'd have enjoyed being there too. Glad you had a good night :)
[/quote]

Yes Marc that's how I felt about them. On the 1982 TOTPS that is currently on BBC4 they are on it. But singing as a boy band. No instruments so I never gave them a thought. I quite liked some of the songs but since seeing them live on the one show a while back, decided to buy both the lexicon of love and the lexiicon of love 2.
He has a very unique voice and he comes across as a nice guy too.

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1476788369' post='3157188']
Yes Marc that's how I felt about them. On the 1982 TOTPS that is currently on BBC4 they are on it. But singing as a boy band. No instruments so I never gave them a thought.....
[/quote]

Funny enough - I watched that same episode the other night, and thought the same thing!
I was watching it when it went out live, back in 1980-something or other, and just saw a boy band, dancing & prancing around. Good song though....

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1476789944' post='3157204']
Funny enough - I watched that same episode the other night, and thought the same thing!
I was watching it when it went out live, back in 1980-something or other, and just saw a boy band, dancing & prancing around. Good song though....
[/quote]
I was a year into my playing in '82 and when I watched TOTP I was only interested in the people with guitars. Even Bobby and Mike started playing guitar and bass in Bucks Fizz (Westones IIRC)
I'm the same now but I do enjoy boy/girls groups when I see them do it live

[quote name='rushbo' timestamp='1476807196' post='3157451']
I've always had a soft spot for ABC....top quality Pop. I even like the "Beauty Stab" album....
[/quote]

"Beauty Stab" and "How To Be A Zillionaire" are my favourites. Not all that keen on the new album, to me it sounds mainly like tracks that weren't quite good enough to make the original "Lexicon Of Love" and I'm surprised that Gary Kemp hasn't sued over the most recent single...

For those of you who are interested, Vice Versa, band who became ABC, have a [url=http://www.vinyl-on-demand.com/-1-18-507.htm]Retrospective Compilation[/url] which includes all the official releases as well as unreleased demos and a selection of live recordings. There's also new material on the way from Mark White and Steve Singleton. All well worth a listen.