Why become a member? ×

NPD Micro Thumpinator & Bright Onion A-B Switch

JohnDaBass

Following advice from Stevie and Phil from Basschat 12 cab design fame of this parish I ordered the Micro Thumpinator to add some protection to my speakers.
Bought the A-B Bright Onion switch to increase control of my Tech 21 VT Di on my pedal board.
Once I added both new pedals I was so surprised how the Thumpinator tamed my whole sound. I love deep warm old school bass but until the advice from Stevie and Phil I just did not realise how much harder my amp and speakers were working. Clearly the amp and cabs were trying so hard to output the sub 30Hz stuff that I was losing so much great tone. I still get the sound I desire but far more efficiently and far more accurately. Thank you Phil & Stevie.
My next move is to add a Mesa Boogie Subway pre-amp when they become available in early December ,£220 seems to be a great price!

• 1 month later...

I've just taken the plunge and ordered the Micro Thumpinator. I know the positive impact the HPF on our Behringer X-Air XR18 has on the overall sound, so it seemed logical to add one to my backline too, especially at that price point. Playing five string basses on loud stages means I know I am only one ham fisted moment away from a blown cone or two, and having had to re-speaker a 4x10 due to blowing two cones, the price of the Thumpinator is a small price to pay. More reports to follow, but does anyone know of a power supply suitable to feed a Line 6 G50, a Radial Bassbone, and the Thumpintor?

Which version of the Bassbone have you got as the V2s have a similar high-pass filter as the Thumpinator - selectable to 80Hz or 150Hz (or off).

Maybe the Thumpinator has better thresholds for 5-string at the low-B which is ~31Hz?

Edited by visog

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1481055440' post='3189404']
Which version of the Bassbone have you got as the V2s have a similar high-pass filter as the Thumpinator - selectable to 80Hz or 150Hz (or off).

Maybe the Thumpinator has better thresholds for 5-string at the low-B which is ~31Hz?
[/quote]

Mine's an early one, without the HPF, hence why I've gone for the micro thumpinator, but your post did send me scurrying off to check the manual :blush:

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1481055440' post='3189404']

[/quote]80Hz is a bit high and will limit the low end. Also you need a very steep HPF to avoid seriously curtailing the bottom end.