Why become a member? ×

In an ideal life...

Barking Spiders

..and you were blessed with one specific musical talent , knowing what you know now would you have playing the bass as your thing? Mebbe you'd have rather been a great songwriter or melodica virtuoso. I wish I'd been given superb set of pipes with a 6 octave range plus the frontman charisma of a Freddie Mercury or Dave Lee Roth.

I've played many instruments over the years & the one thing I wish that I could do, is sing. No matter what, unless I'm singing Sex Machine, I just can't hold a tune.
Which is really strange, as I have no problem playing by ear.

& the answer is yes, I'd still play bass... & keys... & guitar.

The question/original post leaves room for interpretation, I'm taking it as "if you had more musical talent, would you play a different instrument?"

I'd say no: I enjoy playing the bass, partly because it is easier than other instruments (I have played a number of others.....) and partly because of its role as the foundation in a band or group, along with the drums. Its boring to practice on its own but interesting to play with others. I don't seek the limelight or fame off it, so I'm not bothered about being a brilliant front man, or soloist on whatever else eg electric guitar etc etc. For a while I thought I was brilliant at music, until I looked at other things instead of simply bass parts for quite easy graded pieces. Now I know while I'm not brilliant, and there's areas to improve, I am competent on the bass and can make a positive influence.

I guess if I had a ton more musical talent I'd take up another instrument, or instruments, but I'd still keep the bass as my main instrument and enjoy playing it.

Being a songwriter is just like any instrument. Practice doing it, make a load of crap & then you start to get better at it.
A good place to start is the BC monthly composition challenge thingy - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/292782-october-composition-challenge-get-writing-yall/"]Clicky link thing[/url]

I'd love to have a proper crack at drums, I reckon it would make me a better bass player.

I've got a mate who has offered to lend me her electric kit, but from having a couple of lessons at her house I reckon even that would be noisy enough to have the neighbours coming after me with farm implements and flaming torches where I live.

Definitely as a songwriter.

I'm pretty good at collaborating on original stuff and hopefully sometimes even bringing something interesting to the table.
But I haven't got the attention span or confidence to sit and chip away at an original idea to turn it into a really good song.

If I could do that I'd die happy.