Why become a member? ×

212 8ohm cab - and new amp - suggestions?

Mokolotivet

Hi

Im about to buy myself a new amp and new cabs. There isnt alot to test around here, so my information is mainly based on the internet.

Im down to 2 different amps:
- EBS Reidmar 750
- GK MB 800 fusion

Main problem about GK: I cant find a dealer in Norway. So EBS got an edge.

About cabs, I want 212 8ohm since I want the possibility to add another cab later. Do you have any suggestion?

I see TC Electronic have K212 and RS212 (both in 8 ohm). Anyone know the sound-difference between those?

Edited by Mokolotivet

[quote name='Mokolotivet' timestamp='1476815982' post='3157565']

I see TC Electronic have K212 and RS212 (both in 8 ohm). Anyone know the sound-difference between those?
[/quote]

Yes, The K-Cabs are great! The K212 goes a little deeper than the RS and the top end has more of a sparkle owing to the difference in tweeters. The RS cabinets have a slightly more prominent mid range, but still manage a hifi type character with the right amp. Naturally the RH has that 'rock valve amp' presence and the BH heads are more about the wide big clean volume.

I really liked the K-Cabs in review. a 210 on top of a 212 sounded great. I was impressed with the big tones from the 410 and 115 combination too in my review.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1476829637' post='3157711']
Consider the Darkglass M900 or Mesa Subway and you will be able to add a 4ohm later too :)
[/quote]

Hmmm, Darkglass M900 would use all my money atm, but might be worth it? To bad noone have bassamps to try nearby.

In norwegian kroner, Reidmar will cost me 5400NOK and Darkglass 9800NOK. There is a difference. But is it worth it? Anyone tried them?

Edited by Mokolotivet

Rather than limit yourself to an 8ohm cab look at the cab that best suits, then get a splitter cable/box from our very own OBBM that will enable you to connect two 4ohm cabs to a 4ohm amp, if you decide you need another cab. You just plug two ordinary speakon leads into it, then the box connects to the amp, so if only using one cab, just use one lead without the box.

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1477514687' post='3162772']
The Reidmar 750 is an excellent amp and it's the one to go for if you're on a budget. I think it will do everything you need. I really like mine a lot and the price is very competitive.

Frank.
[/quote]

I am on a budget, and Im not on a budget. If something is worth the extra money, then I would gladly save some more :) Still got my BG250 with BC212.

The choice is mainly between 3 models:
- EBS Reidmar 750
- Darkglass 900
- GK MB800 fusion

Though, I havent tested any of them. And noone got them around where I live.