Why become a member? ×

Compressors,what's your favorite squeeze ?

Signal Path

LOVE the Spectracomp!!!! When you get under the bonnet and start using editing the TonePrints you have a very thorough compressor with more parameters available for tweaking than any other pedal on the market. If you just load TonePrints though it's dead simple, sounds great and rather impressive.

It's my favourite. I also think the Hyper Gravity and now discontinued Nova Dynamics are very good. All three are triple band compressors where many are only single or dual band. That said, the EBS Multicomp, although particular, is good. I think the Seymour Duncan Studio Bass is absolutely brilliant as a full-band comp. It's blending options are clever and very helpful.

I had never found a compressor that I liked. I was told that compressors were a good thing. They were not for me. Then I tried the TC Spectracomp. It is a little box of magic wonder. And so small it takes up virtually no space. There is nothing not to love.

I nearly always have the EBS Multicomp going, been on my board for over 2 years now.
Haven't really tried anyother, I do have the spectracomp as part of my TC Electronic BG combo, but I only ever use that at home nowadays with headphones for practice etc.

[quote name='Ba55me15ter' timestamp='1476888968' post='3158162']
+1 on the Spectracomp. Ultimate flexibility[b] including 'New York' style parallel compression[/b].
[/quote]

Indeed! My secret weapon on bass for nearly 20 years!

Darkglass Super Symmetry for me, every other compressor I have used has changed the tone too much. The Super Symmetry is very transparent, with a slight highs roll-off to take the edge off. Very 'phat' sound as a result. Definitely a compressor which you notice more when its off then on. Great metering, parallel compression, all the controls you would want... great unit :)

I like the EBS Multicomp a lot. I have two of them, one for the tiny board, another for the bigger one. But recently I got an MXR bass compressor (M87) because the Multicomp sounds great but it does have a certain 'colour', and the MXR is more transparent. I like the visual indicator that tells you how much compression has been applied which is very useful to dial soft mild compression... I like both.

Based on this thread I went and got a HyperGravity today. I was aiming to get the SpectraComp, but they'd sold out.
I thought it was worth the extra £16 for 3 more knobs and a switch...

After 3 hours I've only just scratched the surface of the Toneprint Editor, but already I'm getting great results.
I have a good feeling that things will get better when I figure out what the hell I'm doing.

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1476899479' post='3158313']
i cant get away from my Cali 76 BC
[/quote]

Well here are the Andertons team demo'ing this and the Boss and EH pedals.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPyYTjMRkTs

Tough to hear the difference although they come out in favour of the transparent Cali. Is the Spectracomp a rival? What would tone prints do for compression?

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1477762724' post='3164381']

Well here are the Andertons team demo'ing this and the Boss and EH pedals.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPyYTjMRkTs

Tough to hear the difference although they come out in favour of the transparent Cali. Is the Spectracomp a rival? What would tone prints do for compression?
[/quote]

Compression always hard, tbh I wouldn't call the Cali transparent at all!

Would like to try a few of the high end comps buts hard thing to get hold of the tc Dunlop stuff for demos

I have a Thundertomate Optocompressor (Handbuilt in Spain), I´m not 100% sure but I think is based on Demeter Compulator.
It´s very smooth as any optocompressor

Edited by spark