Why become a member? ×

Compressors,what's your favorite squeeze ?

Signal Path

[quote name='spark' timestamp='1477913059' post='3165147']
I have a Thundertomate Optocompressor (Handbuilt in Spain), I´m not 100% sure but I think is based on Demeter Compulator.
It´s very smooth as any optocompressor
[/quote]

Rober from Thundertomate made amazing pedals. I have one of his "bass drivers" and it is amazing.

A shame he doesn't build anymore...

Just recently acquired a Rothwell Love Squeeze & think this is a keeper :) .. previous compressors have been Markbass / Diamond / TC Spectracomp & for various reasons I've moved them on (mainly added noise), this Rothwell is so quiet :) !

[quote name='Funky Ghost' timestamp='1478716065' post='3171182']
Once the JoeMeek FloorQ entered my signal chain I've not once thought of trading it out. If I had to live with only 1 pedal from my board, the FloorQ would be it. It's a bit pricey for a stomp box, but well worth it imo.
[/quote]

I have used a rackmount version of this compressor a lot for recording bass, and I love it, great choice!

I think I've got three that I swap around - There may be another couple in my 'spares' box.

Aguilar TLC tends to sit on the board for gigging as it happens to fit my tiny board really well and I like it for live work.

I've also got a Diamond bass comp which is very 'musical' and a Demeter Compulator.

The latter pair sound great but maybe take a bit more care in setting up, well, for me anyway!

Ovni Labs is great review site for loads of compressors - well worth a read :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using a Palmer Deepressor for a while now and despite being quite an affordable and simple pedal I'm really liking it.
The pad button helps to tame the overly hot pre-amp on my Sterling Sub Ray for a start.
Probably not the most fashionable compressor but it evens things out nicely without squashing too much and adds a lovely punch. I've also found it to be surprisingly quiet.

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1480206220' post='3182568']
I've been using a Palmer Deepressor for a while now and despite being quite an affordable and simple pedal I'm really liking it.
The pad button helps to tame the overly hot pre-amp on my Sterling Sub Ray for a start.
Probably not the most fashionable compressor but it evens things out nicely without squashing too much and adds a lovely punch. I've also found it to be surprisingly quiet.
[/quote]

I've been eyeing one of these up! How does it match up to other compressors? :)

I think it holds up pretty well to be honest and very simple to use. That simplicity means it's probably not the most versatile comp but what it does do, I think it does very well.
My Sub Ray 5 has a very hot pre-amp which the pad helps with but the low B is for some reason still much hotter than the other strings even with the pup lowered on that side. The comp evens things out between the strings nicely and effectively makes the B string usable.
It adds some nice note definition and punch but without losing your original tone.
As the Ovnilab review says, the attack is quite slow even at the lowest settings but I like to preserve as much of the initial attack as possible so works really well for me.
I'd say that Palmer's own YouTube video for it is actually a pretty accurate demo.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes - ovnilab.com should be the 1st place to go for most things compressor related.

I bought a TC Nova Dynamics (pre-loved) about five years ago and I haven't found anything better - yet. It's not compact size though - but has decent metering.

Oddly for some, I have it positioned towards the end of my chain because I like it to control my overall level, rather than 'squash' it at the front end.

This year, I've tried the Hypergravity - which I REALLY wanted to like, but struggled to get my sound out of it. And, the Keeley Bassist (which was only OK and expensive!)

The Nova Dynamics is still on my board.

I've had a few over the years, some better than others but I don't think that by spending more you get more. I recently parted with an EBS multicomp which I thought was superb - I've also got a Bassballs which does what you need and can be bought on ebay for about £30-40.