Why become a member? ×

Compressors,what's your favorite squeeze ?

Signal Path

Ive used a couple of compressors; Boss CS3, line 6 compressor and the compressors on my zoom ms60B. All of them really failed to deliver on what I was after in a compressor, although the zoom got close. Finally got the boss bc-1x and all I can say is that I am finally happy. Build quality is great, has a simple layout and not enough options to get confused over. Sounds awesome going in to my DHA MK2 and really helps phatten up the already warm tone.

I recently sold a Boss CS2 - lousy for bass / great on a telecaster - and used the cash towards a BC1-X. I haven't really fiddled with it too much, but straight out of the box, with everything defaulted to about 10 o'clock except for threshold (1 o'clock), it does the job. I got it for harmonics, but I think the main issue there is a loud saturated Les Paul blasting in my left ear rather than the inherent dynamics of my bass rig. I have Joe Meek VC6 too, which is a super squishy onto-comp. Not foot switchable though.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1478802423' post='3171810']
Happy Effectrode PC-2A user here, traded it with a Diamond. It's a very overlooked pedal, yet Ovnilab places it in the top tier.
[/quote]

I have one of these too but use it for guitar. Haven't yet tried it with bass but may do.

I currently have my name on the waiting list for an FEA Labs dual band compressor. Underrated here but not in the US.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1477926393' post='3165304']
Aphex punch factory (the old orange one). Really simple optical compressor.
[/quote]

This.

But after years of being convinced that I needed a compressor on all of the time live, I now find that that is not the case. That said, we're about to add a new song to the set that has a heavily compressed bass intro so I might be back in the market soon.

So I read the comments on here about the TC SpectraComp pedal and was seduced by its diminutive size so I ordered one. First impressions are really favourable, and the extent of the TonePrint editor software is phenomenal. Only had limited time to play with this so far, but I'm liking the Nathan East TonePrint a lot and this will probably be my 'go to' until I get to grips with the editor.

Fiddly things to get just right.. i find
I use the MXR M87 & the metering is a big bonus...
Switching from fingers to Slapping' shall we say. Yeld's a very big difference in sound.
Personally i like to use them to just " Grab the Sound" Not Squash it... they do give a fatness & more sustain to the sound...& used in conjuction with a Aphex Exciter' or a Sonic Stomp" then you are in a different Sound measure!!

Edited by paulo m

Rather than start another compressor thread...

I'm loving my Darkglass, but I could do with a good comp that runs on battery for when I can't get extra power cables and stuff.

Obviously there is the MXR Bass Comp, but is there anything else that is really good quality? Ideally not a Ross circuit one.

[quote name='paulo m' timestamp='1485439199' post='3223977']
Fiddly things to get just right.. i find
I use the MXR M87 & the metering is a big bonus...
Switching from fingers to Slapping' shall we say. Yeld's a very big difference in sound.
Personally i like to use them to just " Grab the Sound" Not Squash it... they do give a fatness & more sustain to the sound...& used in conjuction with a Aphex Exciter' or a Sonic Stomp" then you are in a different Sound measure!!
[/quote]

My signal chain goes tuner - MXR compressor - Bass Xciter - Chorus - Envelope - OD/Fuzz - Reverb - pre/out
I love the combined use of the compressor and the Bass Xciter!!! Serious fatness!!! Sounds A1 recorded too!

[quote name='basshead56' timestamp='1485981971' post='3228302']

My signal chain goes tuner - MXR compressor - Bass Xciter - Chorus - Envelope - OD/Fuzz - Reverb - pre/out
I love the combined use of the compressor and the Bass Xciter!!! Serious fatness!!! Sounds A1 recorded too!
[/quote]

Yes those two pedals work very well indeed together' &
if you...look @ bass-pedals.com they run an excellent insightfull Demo on just how to get the best out of em!!

I would suggest you try the Xciter at the end of your pedal chain' as this is the companys recommended placement of it...& it Does make a big difference...
But of course its all subjective' & about ones own ears.

Edited by paulo m