Why become a member? ×

Thinking of up-grading my amp-----

gypsyjazzer

For many years I have used my trusty GK MB150 combo. Never once let me down--a truly great combo amp--would be sorry to let it go.
As age is getting the better of me I would be looking for something lighter--perhaps two separates?-or combo? Are you guys more up to date than I am?--gone for the lighter option? But has it the quality of the GK.? The sort of gigs I do are the smaller venue type---not 'on the rock' circuit.

What do you use?
Combo or separates?
Are Mini (Micro) amps good?
Speaker size? Bearing in mind my GK has a 12" speaker--do the smaller speakers of today have the same depth of note as the old 12" type speaker?

(I remember in my youth I used to cart around a 'Vox Foundation' bass cab.--18" speaker---[b][size=5]AA[/size]A--[size=3]hh[/size]h--[size=6]hhh[size=3]hh--h [size=5]!![/size][/size][/size][/b]
[size=6][size=3][size=5]Happy days! )[/size][/size][/size]

Hi, may I direct you to ....https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=greenboy%20enclosures%20for%20the%20wicked

http://greenboy.us

http://trickyaudio.wixsite.com/trickyaudio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-YUbQyK5Ls
I use an F212 and an F112 they are the loudest lightest speakers currently available, not cheap but well built and with an astounding ability to make an upright sound good. I'm using a GK RB 1001 head at the minute but i am looking to get a micro head in the future.

I use an AER Amp 1, which is small, but not quite as light as it looks like it will be, but at only 13 Kgs it's not exactly heavy.

I also use 1 or 2 'Crazy 8s' with either an AI Clarus + or even with a GK MB200' which is a very light and capable set up and doesn't even need a pre-amp with a Full Circle.

I've not played any gigs where I need more volume, but if I did I would be looking at F112 or F212 or even a Barefaced.

There is an [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/293833-acoustic-image-focus-2/"]AI Focus 2[/url] for slae in the amps section. They are great for DB...loud and light with high pass and notch filters. You'd just need to find the right speaker. A Barefaced Midget would probably be just right if you are only playing smaller venues.

Edited by TPJ

As ever with these questions, it helps to know what you're going to use it for!

If you plan to play in cool jazz trios on DB and nothing else at all, then I'd point you in one direction.

If you're going to play blues and rockabilly on DB, plus you need to do electric gigs with a covers band using the same rig, then I'd point you somewhere else.

And in each case, I'd want an idea of your budget too. :)

If weight is the main driver of change, then the most obvious option would be the Acoustic Image Contra or Coda combos. Both are around 22lbs, so slightly lighter than the 26lbs of the GK MB150.

If you want to go [u]really[/u] light weight, then I'd go for a Barefaced One10 cab (15lbs) paired with an Acoustic Image Doubler (2.3lbs) to give you a 300W rig weighing in at 17.3lbs. It doesn't get much lighter than that as far as I'm aware.

[quote name='gypsyjazzer' timestamp='1477001133' post='3159254']

The type of gigs I play?--Small venue's / Trio / Quartet. Music style?-mixture of jazz / bluegrass'ey style.
[/quote]
[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1476960719' post='3158794']

If you want to go [u]really[/u] light weight, then I'd go for a Barefaced One10 cab (15lbs) paired with an Acoustic Image Doubler (2.3lbs) to give you a 300W rig weighing in at 17.3lbs.
[/quote]

I'd call that sorted.

:)

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1476960719' post='3158794']
If you want to go [u]really[/u] light weight, then I'd go for a Barefaced One10 cab (15lbs) paired with an Acoustic Image Doubler (2.3lbs) to give you a 300W rig weighing in at 17.3lbs. It doesn't get much lighter than that as far as I'm aware.
[/quote]

I can beat that!

Acoustic Image Clarus SL + Crazy 8 composite 13.4lbs

or Clarus SL + Crazy 8 ply 16.6ibs

[quote name='Mr Bassman' timestamp='1477051090' post='3159512']

I can beat that!

Acoustic Image Clarus SL + Crazy 8 composite 13.4lbs

or Clarus SL + Crazy 8 ply 16.6ibs
[/quote]

Good point, well put.

Can you still get the composite cabs?

I own both a Crazy8 (compo) and a OneTen. The Ten kicks a serious amount of butt and I have used it on several outdoor gigs to great effect during the year. Also a lot of loud indoor gigs. But I've found that it's quite a dark speaker and I find myself losing mid articulation. If I'm not seeking a lot of volume I prefer the 8 for its tonal range. Tomorrow I have a gig in a carpeted room that will really soak up the mids so I'm going to try a Wizzy 10. Might put the 8 in the motor just in case tho'.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1477129765' post='3159994']
I prefer the Greenboy stuff to the Barefaced stuff from what I have heard, IMO the Crazy 8 is all over the one10
[/quote]

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1477139562' post='3160095']
I own both a Crazy8 (compo) and a OneTen. The Ten kicks a serious amount of butt and I have used it on several outdoor gigs to great effect during the year. Also a lot of loud indoor gigs. But I've found that it's quite a dark speaker and I find myself losing mid articulation. If I'm not seeking a lot of volume I prefer the 8 for its tonal range.
[/quote]

I agree the great tone of the Crazy 8 shines over the lacklustre sound of the One Ten. It's not all about how loud they can go

It sounded a little bit 'boxy' to my ears, a cab used for monitoring would be better as a middy sounding one for me. If I was pushing them to gig volume I would expect to need a bigger cab anyway, of course I am not brave enough to say this in the amps and cabs section, we are a little more civilised in here as Roger's first hand experience post shows. As long as no one tells the BF massive outside of the DB section we should be OK :D

I've only heard the BF One10 at the bass bash and although it's not going to prise my fingers off my BigE MAS45, I was pretty impressed by what it could do.
Yes, it was heavy in the mids and less natural sounding than the MAS45, but if I was looking for a lightweight monitor for a low to mid volume gig, it would be high on my list of options.

I'm a big fan of the crazy 8. It can take a surprising amount of power I find. I had mine made by tricky audio.

For an amp I use a tecamp puma 900 (which I know is no longer made) but I'm plugging straight into the fx loop with my headway EDB-2 and the realist. I originally got the headway to use to blend my troll mic with the realist but to be honest I get a really great sound from the realist with a bit of EQing from the headway, the EQ points are perfect for getting rid of piezo quack and together with the Crazy 8 i can dial in a decent sound for all the different rooms I've played in.

• 3 weeks later...

EA .. never heard of them 'till now. But ouch, £750 just for the amp, then another £400 - £600 for a cab.

Silly to balk at it really as we spend £1000s on basses (especially double ones) and I just spent £800 on a bow. I do have the feeling that basses keep their value better than amps tho.

Anyone tried a PJB d400 with a double bass? Looks nice and solid and simple (though also not exactly cheap).

Like Happy Jack says it depends what you want it for . Separate head and cab allows for a more adaptable rig . A quality head can be paired with a lightweight cap for DB and a bigger cab where more grunt is needed e.g. on an electric bass gig.
EA and Acoustic image amps are excellent pieces of kit and worth the investment . As are crazy 8 and the Ten . I'm sure there are other options available too. . Re cost . I like to be on a gig and not be thinking my gear is letting me down . When I'm playing the last thing on my mind is gear.

You are quite right Mr Spangles! Lugged my Trace out last night (which is totally reliable) but found I'd brought a dodgy extension lead (crackle, crackle, silence, crackle, thud). Hey ho.

That 2nd hand AI Clarus is tempting; ugly tho it is, it's probably better and also a little cheaper than a new MB-500 or PJB d400.

By far the lightest combos out there are the Fender Rumbles, they work very well with double bass, particularly if it is a bright instrument.
They are not a boutique amp by any standards, but cheap, utilitarian, loud and VERY LIGHT, UNBELIEVABLY LIGHT.
The 100 will cover most gigs, the 40 is loud enough for most of the stuff I do. Both are very usable.

P.S.
GypsyJazzer, I just noticed your name. I have been playing that music for a long long time with G.Potter, G. Green, N. Solberg, Ferre Bros, B. Lagrene, F. Lafertin, J. Cook. I. Cruikshank etc. My opinion is honestly, that the Fender Rumble is a good option, particularly if like me you are rather ancient. Most of the bass players who play that music don't use high end powerful amplification even on big festival stages. Yes I remember the Vox, I used a Selmer Goliath with a Sound City head and accompanying dislocated shoulder. The arrival of Polytone amplifiers was a life changing event, but even they feel heavy now.

Edited by anon