Why become a member? ×

Are we all now out of a job !!!

plumbob

They seem to have put a lot of thought into this , even down to type of strings and age of strings !

[url="https://youtu.be/LQBkoqjL6pw"]youtu.be/LQBkoqjL6pw[/url]

Oh I can never get that youtube thing to work can someone do it for me , ta !

Edited by plumbob

We've had this all before. One of the things that makes the bass guitar to way it is is how you play it. Playing bass from a keyboard rather than plucking and fretting strings gives a completely different feel. Of course you could spend the time honing your keyboard technique to emulate the way a musician with an electric bass guitar would play, but what's the point? As someone who plays both bass and keyboards (and guitar) a good part of the skill of the musician is picking the right instrument to give the right feel and sound for the piece of music in question.

I suppose it's similar to elctronic pianos and the real thing. The real thing has all the nuances that an electronic one will never have, no matter how good they are. Electronic bass has been used on pop recordings ever since the advent of the Yamaha DX7. Bass players still exist. Wouldn't worry too much. It is impressive though.

Here's a comparison between electronic and real bass. Give me the real one any day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yczr25WmgzE

[quote name='plumbob' timestamp='1476900151' post='3158323']...
Oh I can never get that youtube thing to work can someone do it for me , ta !
[/quote]

For next time;;;

Copy the link given by the 'Share' button, which is just above the Uploaded date, above the Comments.
Paste the link into the post being edited.
Delete the 's' from the 'https' at the start of that link
Enjoy..! B)

It's equally in the programming (after performance), also real time key switching for articulations and of course, thinking how a Bassist would play.
The 'Modo Bass' is just fine. Sure soloed, it's clear it's Sample patches. But layering in amongst an Orchestration it would be very passable.

I believe our very own Bubinga5 was sucked in by the 'Scarbee Musicman Bass' on a 'Incognito' track, until someone came forward to point it out.
I must admit, it sounded pretty good, very musical. But then again, it was played an programmed by an outstanding Musician who knew what he was doing.

Just like any real Instrument, it depends who is on the end of it.
:)

George Duke is a very good musician and could make a biscuit tin sound great. Stevie Wonder is a great bass player too. This stuff just makes it possible for them to do their thing with more expression as a bass player without the physical side to it so I think we are still safe.
Mind you as soon as you can click on for example " Pino Palladino mode" and it emulates how the guy thinks...................
But yeah...it cant pick up and drive home the pissed singer or carry the singers equipment for them.

I know two professional composers - they do adverts, TV soundtracks, corporate stuff, all kinds really...all in the box. Not a real instrument in sight. It's just easier and faster to use software

From what I've seen the majority of folks don't give a hoot about the individual components of a piece of commercial music, if it hits what the client wants then you get paid.

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1476961304' post='3158799']
I know two professional composers - they do adverts, TV soundtracks, corporate stuff, all kinds really...all in the box. Not a real instrument in sight. It's just easier and faster to use software

From what I've seen the majority of folks don't give a hoot about the individual components of a piece of commercial music, if it hits what the client wants then you get paid.
[/quote]

This really.
Also, on Film and bigger TV budgets, producers and directors like to have an idea of what the cues are going to sound like before the final sessions on the scoring stage or in the studio starts. That way no time and money is wasted changing or rewriting cues and charts.
Software midi mock ups are very big business with some exceptional, expensive libraries knocking around.
Indeed, some of those mock ups end up making it onto the final music soundtrack.

Virtual Instruments have been around for years, nothing has changed, other than another Bass VSTi has turned up to play on your gig. :D
Most of the music you hear on TV drama is software recorded, with the occasional 'real' Instruments added in.

The 'ModoBass' is physically modeled as well. Pretty cool piece of software.
[media]http://youtu.be/xHaTzEC8XmI[/media]

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1476902417' post='3158354']
Synth bass in "pop hits" goes back much further than the DX7. How about Giorgio Moroder or Kraftwerk both from the early 70s almost a decade before the DX7 made it's debut...
[/quote]

Granted, but it was the 80s that saw synthesized bass explode. I remember reading about a lot of session bass players branching out into other areas in music during the 80s. How many session bass players did Stock Aitken and Waterman use on their hits?

Of course, it will put SOME musicians out of SOME work! People were asking the same question when mellotrons, string machines and samplers first came on the scene. They asked the same question when drum machines came along. As we hear on the radio day-in day-out, a "performance" from drummers, bassists, keyboard players, guitarists etc is not a requirement, a close aproximation is all that's needed from the majority of today's popular artists and producers. Hiring musicians can be an expensive business, and of course, we all know the "what's the difference between a drummer and a drum machine?" joke... many a true word spoken in jest :)

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1476964569' post='3158843']
Software midi mock ups are very big business with some exceptional, expensive libraries knocking around.
Indeed, some of those mock ups end up making onto the final music soundtrack.
[/quote]

Absolutely - my neighbour uses East West packages and they absolutely beggar belief.

We're not all out of a job, IMO (not that I get paid for playing). New genres arise, often based round new instruments. This is what happened to double basses, for instance - time was when a "bass player" was a guy who brought a double bass with him.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1477250420' post='3160888']
It will never replace the string bass. After all, it won't book gigs, send out posters, carry spare fuses, capos for the guitarist, and be the only one with gaffa tape....
[/quote]

It won't even replace the the electric bass, these patches that sound great have been around for years.

To me it sounds like someone playing bass on a key board. The execution and dynamic s are quite different than a bass guitar.

Blue

Edited by blue