Why become a member? ×

NBD Ibanez SRF700

bartelby

A couple of weeks ago I borrowed a mate's SR400FL and instantly knew I needed an unlined fretless. After looking about I noticed unlined fretless basses were either mega cheap basic basses, expensive Fender clones or mega expensive fancy basses. Until I stumbled upon the SRF700; Great price, good lucks and a piezo bridge!
Then one showed up in the Marketplace, at a great price. After a couple of days thinking about it and a couple of PMs exchanged it was on it's way to me.

It really is a lovely looking bass: satin finished, 30 "fret" board and it's light!
The controls are (left to right, top to bottom):
Piezo Vol, Bridge Vol, Neck Vol
Piezo tone, treble boost/cut, bass boost/cut

The piezo bridge is fantastic. It gives a really nice upright bassy tone. Apart from a few minutes initially trying the bass the piezo output is the only one I've been using...

The only, very minor, thing I'm not sure about is the side markers. The SR400FL I borrowed only has dots, this bass has fret markers so the dots of out of position for a fretless. I've already got used to playing on the dots, so I need to recalibrate a bit.

The back has a bit of gubbins going on, the 4 holes are for preset pots for each string's piezo's output.

I actually think that I'm now GAS free, as far as basses are concerned... not counting the GAS for the unobtainable Wal, obviously.