Why become a member? ×

Gig Bass order of merit.....

Number6

So i gig 4 basses and have decided after much deliberation that i have a "Gig Bass" order of merit.

1. Fame Deuce Jazz Bass (this has only just moved into top spot)
2. Fender Mex Precision (Lovely bass but just pipped by the Deuce)
3. Epiphone Allen Woody (yes you read correctly, never let me down)
4. Yamaha BB424x (only beaten by the Epi as it's not been gigged yet)
5. Squier Modded Frank Bello Jazz (my bass for experimentation but not gigged yet and unlikely unless i had too)

So i know lots of people here have lots of basses but do you have an order of merit too?

Edited by Number6

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1476916935' post='3158563']
1. Hondo Precision copy
2. Greco Rickenfaker
3. Jolana Rickenfaker
[/quote]

Nice you have basses i wish i owned.....with the addition of the Aria Pro RB-700 :)

Edited by Number6

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1476916420' post='3158559']
So i know lots of people here have lots of basses but do you have an order of merit too?
[/quote]

Err, no; bass choice is fairly random, perhaps minutes before I leave the house. No favourites. I may choose one over another based on freshness of the strings, but they're all similarly set up, all play pretty much the same.

It would be easier to list the ones that never get gigged!

Nope, I take them both as only have two now.
I will use the Fender if the gig is turned down a semi which a pretty regular dep is.
Also a couple of singers like eb so that makes sense to have it to hand.
Otherwise standard tuning and it depends what I hear in soundcheck...

[b]Sterling Ray35[/b] (It's a Musicman...Tonally it fits virtually everywhere? Plus, being a 5 string it covers everything in my function band).
[b]Squier Jazz [/b](Always out with the function band as it's purple in colour & we all have purple guitars in the function band).
[b]Alembic Rogue 5 string[/b] (For those 'Posh' gigs).
[b]Musicman Stingray[/b] (for the tone again, it's only a 4 string but has a D tuner, My 'go to' pub gig/Jam night bass).
[b]Warwick Corvette proline 5 string[/b] (A bit noisey these days due to age but great if I feel like a change? Such a comfortable neck).

I genuinely have no idea of how many basses I own at the moment but there's three that are my 'go to' instruments for gigging.

#1 is unquestionably my white Ritter Cora with alder body and maple board.
It's under 8lbs so that helps for longer gigs, pretty flexible tonally and, with the slightly shorter 33.3" scale, it's really easy to play.

#2 is a tobacco burst flame maple Sadowsky NYC with a chambered swamp ash body and Amazon rosewood board.
Again it's very light weight and it just 'works' really well in a live band setting.

#3 is metallic gold flake Lull P. Alder body (I think) and maple board.
Only passive bass of the trio and the 'showiest' because of the gold sparkly finish. Probably 2nd lightest after the Ritter and another one that just sounds good in a band mix.

After these three there's a few others that get gigged, especially recently as I've been using a pair of Fenders - a Flea J and a Clayton CS P.

The Clayton has more low end punch than the Lull and is also gold sparkle so may grab that #3 slot soon.

At home I tend to grab a Ritter R8 or my Fodera Monarch. The Ritter because it weighs nothing (6.5 lbs) and sits really well on my lap and the Fodera for the super clean and clear tone :)

For comfort: My japanese Epiphone explorer prototype - bolt on neck factory Pbass pickup. I added a jazz picxkup at the bridge.
For sound: 63 reissue USA Rosewood board Precision.
Sorta wish I still had my 72 ricky 4001 but it would still be very much in third or fourth place. As would the Travis Bean I swapped it for.

Edited by ivansc

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1476946807' post='3158634']
Err, no; bass choice is fairly random, perhaps minutes before I leave the house. No favourites. I may choose one over another based on freshness of the strings, but they're all similarly set up, all play pretty much the same.

[u][b]It would be easier to list the ones that never get gigged![/b][/u]
[/quote]

Haha. I'd say there's more than a few basschatters guilty of that one - myself included.

Frank.

When I was playing in a covers band I'd usually take two basses to a gig and swap between them across the set, although I do have one go-to bass. Here's my ranking...

1985 Wal Mk 1 Custom - my number one and true bass love. If I'm only taking one bass it will probably be this one. So lovely to play and so versatile.

1979 Wal Pro IIE - but this runs it a close second and, although it doesn't get used on its own as much, I do use it regularly.

"Signature" Frankenjazz off eBay - this would be my no 3/ and "Ineed an old school looking, 60s style"/"Jazz bass vibe" bass, except that I lent it to a producer chum and he loves it so much I wonder if I'll ever get it back..

1981/2 Aria SB700 - my first ever bass and not played much recently/for several years. However, after a nice set up and new set of D'Addarios at the SE Bass Bash I'm determined to use it a bit more. This Sunday, in fact!

Faith Neptune Titan acoustic bass - only used around the house for practice or if an acoustic look/sound/vibe is needed. Actually probably used more than the Aria til now.

Tony Revell custom built acoustic bass - home use only.

And that's my full set...

My main gigging bass at the moment is a Musicman Sterling 5er, because in one band I need a 5er a lot and the other just a little and so, to keep changing basses, I use just this one. I take a Hohner BV as backup.

Which means that I don't get to use my best and favourite bass - a Squier JV Precision - as much as I would like since adopting the 5er.