Why become a member? ×

Seymour Duncan SMB4A (MusicMan style, Alnico) £55 delivered *** SOLD ***
£60

My absolute favourite MM Stingray-style pickup, aside from the original.

4-wire cable allows to wire it in series or parallel.

It is not a faithful reproduction of the original Stingray pickup, but a version that went to the gym :P
Very punchy, great balance... I've tried a few but this is the best by far. I wnet through a crazy period with a bunch of OLP basses and other hybrids with MM pickups, and I put an SMB4A in each of them. Wire it in parallel for a more Stingray-esque flavour, or wire it in series for a seriously fat and punchy sound.

Lots of cable left.

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='Raslee' timestamp='1476981361' post='3159010']
Hi mate, does this have level flat poles? In other words my original MM pick up is great but the poles chop my fingers up big time. Thanks
[/quote]

No, they stick out a bit from the pickup casing if that's what you mean.

Your fingers touch the poles??? :blink:
I play right over the pickup most of the time but my fingers don't touch it... maybe I'm misunderstanding (very possible, it's been a long day! ;))

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1479414504' post='3176440']
I might be talking bollocks but the pup you are selling looks more like oneof these [url="https://www.thomann.de/gb/seymour_duncan_smb4ds.htm"]https://www.thomann....ncan_smb4ds.htm[/url] to me if you check out the different versions apologys if not and GLWTS
[/quote]

No, it's definitely the SMB4A. I've bought several over the years and used them on various basses. I used to be a big fan of the OLP MM2 (Stingray clone) which could be pretty good except for the electronics. I owned 4 of the things! (obsessive, moi? :lol: I only owned THREE simultaneously :P) and I tried several pickups. First was the SMB4A because it seemed to get good reviews and I definitely wanted the alnico version. I liked it a lot. Then I tried a GFS on another bass, hoping to get something as good for a lot less cash, and it didn't work. I then went for a Nordstrand MM4.2 as they are often praised... and I didn't like that much either. So I went back to SMB4A and didn't stray anymore.

But I digress :) You can see the sticker under the pickup where it says "SMB-4A" if there's any doubts about the actual model.
It's quite a bit cheaper than the DS at £85 + postage on Thomann, vs nearly £200 for the DS in the link. Apparently the DS has built-in 3-band EQ (?) I never heard of it, just going by the description on the link. The SMB4A is a standard passive pickup, with alnico polepieces, that has a very healthy output without being overbearing, and sounds really good. All my MM-style pickup needs are already covered, and I'm selling the bass where this thing was going to go, so... it has to go too. :)

PS: Oh, I see where your confusion originated! On that link you can click on "other versions of this pickup" on the top... which at first glance I thought they were just different views. They're not... they're actually all the other Seymour Duncan models of MM-style pickups. They show the 4A (mine), the 4D (same but ceramic magnets), 4DS... etc. :)

• 4 weeks later...