Why become a member? ×

Help,I'm being pulled to the 'Dark side' (Gibson content)

Bassman68

I've recently joined a '70's' covers band playing mostly Free/Bad company songs with some Cream & Zeplin songs thrown in as well.

I'm really getting into Andy Fraser's playing & here lies the problem..

I want an EB3 now & I don't even like Gibson basses!

Please someone, talk me out of my GAS..

So far, I'm managing to get those 'plummey' tones with my Stingray, with the treble turned down & the mutes wound up, with old strings & the VLE on my Markbass head..

BUT, the voice in the back of my mind is saying "You need something red, something mahogany etc."

I've got enough basses in my collection, I don't think I can sneak another one in, but I've just clocked the Epiphone EB3 & I'm feeling weak!

Help..

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1476957733' post='3158756']
It's easy, just try playing one! bass back on the hook, wallet back in the pocket* :lol:

* similar methods work with Rickenbackers ;)
[/quote]
Either the above or try another bass set to neck pickup, which will give quite a different response to a MM.

And look, would you believe it, there's one for sale on here. :D

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/230221-gibson-eb-3-slotheadstock-price-drop-1300-gbp/page__p__3151335__hl__gibson__fromsearch__1#entry3151335

"Suits you Sir"

Or, in the words of Mrs Doyle "Go on, go on go on"

Frank.

[quote name='Bassman68' timestamp='1476956032' post='3158732']

So far, I'm managing to get those 'plummey' tones with my Stingray, with the treble turned down & the mutes wound up, with old strings & the VLE on my Markbass head..

[/quote]

The above plus flatwounds and you're 100% there, with the added bonus that you can play in tune above the 12th fret.

[quote name='Bassman68' timestamp='1476956032' post='3158732']

I've got enough basses in my collection, I don't think I can sneak another one in, but I've just clocked the Epiphone EB3 & I'm feeling weak!

Help..
[/quote]

The Epiphone EB3 won't be quite right as it's long scale. The bridge pickup - which is the root of the Andy Fraser tone - sounds too tight and burpy on a long scale bass. Short scale retains a lot more woomph for want of a better word. I speak from experience!

I believe these are pretty good.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Revelation-RSGB-Electric-Bass-Guitar-Right-Handed-/391085894367?hash=item5b0e892adf:g:qqMAAOSw34FVBxOj

I have just acquired the Greco version (advertised on here) for similar reasons...

I experimented with an SG bass (the Gibson not the Epiphone).

Nice enough, but I found the shorty thing a little cramped, and the neck kept diving to the floor!

It sounded nice enough, but I didn't find the elusive Fraser/Bruce thing - I have since read a fair bit where quite a few players have said the 'modern' SG bass sounds very little like the EB3. I can't compare as I've not played both, but I found the SG a bit polite and non-descript.

However, YMMV.....! :)

My EB-3L with flats sounds and plays in the Fraser ballpark - though of course from your original post Boz Burrell played an Ampeg (in the beginning) and JPJ a Jazz (ditto).

That said, saw someone playing a Telecaster bass with mud bucker last week that sounded very Gibson-y.