Why become a member? ×

Anyone play in an instrumental only band?

James Nada

Hi
I'm on the process of putting together a side project of an instrumental only band. Line up will consist of bass, drums, guitar (and occasional organ) and possibly a second guitar.

We're thinking of doing tracks like Miserlou, Green Onions, Rumble, Cissy Strut, and stuff that's Shadowy and Surfish.

First question - does anyone have any experience of gigging this type of thing in pub and small venue environments? I have concerns that punters won't be too keen on a set full of vocal-free tracks. Any advice or general comments are welcomed.

Second question - any setlist suggestions?

Cheers, James

Edited by James Nada

Back in the 90s I was in a (mostly) originals indie band that did a version of Misirlou (better known as the theme from Pulp Fiction).

Used to go down a storm even without a trumpeter.

I reckon there are quite a few people who'd be up for seeing an instrumental surf music band, I'd be one of them. Whether you could find enough of them in one place to do regular gigs, I'm not sure, but I could imagine that people might want to book such a band for specific events/functions.

Yep, my band Mister Super Juice (see link in sig) are a seven piece instrumental cinematic funk band.

Gets great reactions from punters and publican alike 😆

Our 2 1/2 hour set is all original so all I can say is keep it interesting and never ever stop grooving, no one wants to hear your voice much if you're an instrumental band, we segue the first forty minutes of music together into one enormous soundtrack, lots of light motifs throughout.

It really helps to have a big band, you can cover Dar more sonic range texturally which is a must, you are in constant danger of sounding samey through a long set.

If you're good then people will lap it up and you can get paid well over the odds of most cover bands as you get a bit of a following.

Edited by 51m0n

The vast majority of our songs don't have any vocals, we have bass, guitar, drums and Hammond organ and play funk. There are quite a few modern bands you could cover who do mostly instrumentals like Phat Fred, deep street soul, the bamboos, cooking on three burners, they're all pretty funky and need someone pretty good on the keys!
We're also just about to start learning a couple of Volfpeck songs as well, and yep, it's goes down pretty well as it's all good stuff to dance to, no melody to speak of, but melody only ruins a good groove....!!

Well, the two instrumental bands I was in never really set out to make any money, so I can't offer much advice really.

I did see a superb surf instrumental band once who had a theremin in a pineapple ice caddy, which was a great stage prop, and acted as a focus for some on-stage fun, so maybe something to act as a focus might help.

Thanks for all the responses so far, keep them coming. 😃

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1476999775' post='3159237']
Well, the two instrumental bands I was in never really set out to make any money, so I can't offer much advice really.

I did see a superb surf instrumental band once who had a theremin in a pineapple ice caddy, which was a great stage prop, and acted as a focus for some on-stage fun, so maybe something to act as a focus might help.
[/quote]
We're not setting out to make any money either, it's just a fun side project with (probably) a high concept.

Funnily enough, we do have a theremin on hand!

[quote name='James Nada' timestamp='1477000537' post='3159249']
We're not setting out to make any money either, it's just a fun side project with (probably) a high concept.

Funnily enough, we do have a theremin on hand!
[/quote]

Well, then....indulge yourselves and break out the theremin !

Set-wise, how about some other famous instrumental tunes from films ? Theme from 'Get Carter', some John Barry ?

Yep, my band does versions of jazz-rock classics from Metheny, Billy Cobham, Weather Report, Mike Stern, Jaco, Mahavishnu and that lot, plus some of our own stuff in a similar vein. Goes without saying we don't make any money from it! That's not the point really, it's a laugh to play and the punters like it. It can be fun and games getting gigs though. I try to get bandmates to not say "fusion" when describing us.

Edited by toneknob

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1477065207' post='3159665']
Saw Graham Day's instrumental band the Senior Service a while ago. They were excellent. It's a hard job to pull off though, The only thing I would say is the gaps between songs need something happening or they feel like very empty spaces for an audience with instrumentals only..
[/quote]

Yep, good point - the changeovers between songs are important. If guitarist needs to fiddle around with instruments/pedals/his nose between songs it's a good idea to have a mic and to have a very brief chat with the audience - introduce the tunes and band etc.

Echo a couple of points above - one of my bands "Water for Dogs" is an original EDM/mish-mash of all sorts band of bass, guitar, and a stack of keys. Play mainly festivals but do the occasional pub gig at local music focussed venues.

We have spent the last year focussing on our changeovers between tracks. Looking at [i]"if Matt needs to change a lot of his effects then what can Richard and I do to set up the next track..."[/i]etc. ... ensuring that when I change from the fretted to fretless basses it is not immediately before a track where the bass comes in early...and yes, some of those between track over the mic ad-libs are not even slightly ad-libbed... the idea is to add up to a smooth flow over the set, remove the clunkiness and keep the people interested and the dancers dancing.

It needs to be fun for everyone, get out there and enjoy it (just dont expect to be giving up work on Monday...)

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1477000703' post='3159251']

Set-wise, how about some other famous instrumental tunes from films ? Theme from 'Get Carter', some John Barry ?
[/quote]
I love the Get Carter theme.
Plenty to choose from on the Bullitt soundtrack by Lalo Schifrin too.

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1477090114' post='3159873']
I love the Get Carter theme.
Plenty to choose from on the Bullitt soundtrack by Lalo Schifrin too.
[/quote]

Lalo Schifrin and Roy Budd are two of our biggest influences, absolutely awesome stuff, Dirty Harry theme, Scorpio's Theme, Enter the Dragon, Mission Impossible, all Lalo; Get Carter, The Black Windmill, The Marseille Contract, all Roy Budd. One track of ours 'references' the Bullitt 'Changing Gears' track in the bass line a tad ;)

When we are setting up we have an mp3 player full of these tracks alongside more obvious stuff like Isaac Hayes, and Curtis Mayfield, always sets the scene beautifully!

Edited by 51m0n

My journey to Jazz was basically borne of a frustration of never being able to find decent singers for the Rock bands I tried to form. The interest in instrumental music took me from Prog to Cozy Powells Over The Top to Colloseum to Brand X and Bruford to Weather Report to Miles to Coltrane to the world.