Why become a member? ×

Macari's/London

NancyJohnson

I've done OK in Macaris in the past, although I'm not really the type to haggle, and it's more like getting free or cheap extras like strings, leads or cases.

Thing is, their competition is right round the corner, so they don't need to try very hard to know if they are cheaper than the rest of Denmark Street (and I don't know if it's still true but in the old days half the shops were owned by the same people so there was no point trying to play them off against each other for the best deal). Long gone are the days when they all said "we'll beat any price", mainly because the internet made it a whole lot easier to find the cheapest price. It was bad enough for them in the days that Peter Cook's small ad at the back of Guitarist would have them weeping.

If they're also cheaper than a quick google of GAK then they're probably pretty confident that they'll shift them at that price. If you were serious about buying them both then that was probably your best card to play.

Or try Wunjos - they always used to love a haggle, whether you wanted to or not.

Perhaps if you asked to try one out ( I assume they still have the basement area ) and got chatting with the sales assistant , you may have improved your chances .

Selling techniques work both ways , if you are short or brusque with a shop assistant , they are highly unlikely to give you any discount .
If you chat with them , tell them your not from London , it tends to break up their tedious day , especially if you have other common interests .
Offering to buy both would probably increased your chances of a good deal as well .
As some-one who has worked with the Great British public for 35 years , I will always help out pleasant , good natured people.

Still , it's a pretty good price , so you haven't been overcharged if you bought them .

Agreed. Saying "Whats your best price" Is not haggling.

Him saying 899 was his starting price. You cant seriously expect anyone to drop a price merely cos you ask, doing a deal, If indeed one is possible, is a two way thing. If you had tried the bass, had a chat with the guy, said you were really interested but 899 was out of your budget and offered 800, then you were giving them the opportunity to decide if they could sell at that price, or a little higher. Or say no but we can throw in a hard case and a lead. Thats how it works.

A friend of mine used to have a great haggling technique for his used car business.

He'd advertise stuff on a fixed price best offer basis.

If anyone tried to haggle him down he'd respond by haggling up.

E.g. He'd off something at £5k, potential customer would offer £4,500 and he'd go back with £5,500. Drove some people away but was actually really successful in the long run. He became known as a guy that just offered a fair price for things :)