Why become a member? ×

Macari's/London

NancyJohnson

Up in the smoke today and imagine my suprise in seeing a pair of Gibson Thunderbird NRs in their shop window. £899 a pop. Pelham Blue and Sunburst.

Also imagine my surprise when my good wife said if I wanted one of them, I should go in and haggle.

'Best price?' I ask.
'£899'
'Bye then.'

I saunter down to Denmark Street. Dull. Walking back towards Macari's, I duck in again asking whether they're open for a bit of price-negotiation. Negative again.

Thing is, if the price was right, I'd probably have bought both of them. There's probably little profit to be made on a bass they've had in stock for three years or so and they could gave covered their business rates for this month.

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1476997438' post='3159200']
Fair enough, but If they have priced them at there minimum mark up rather than loading the price, then thats what they want. Where they not worth the asking price? Or do you refuse to buy anything on principal unless you can get a discount?
[/quote]

I just felt in the mood for a haggle more than anything else and with my wife wined-up from lunch and giving me two thumbs up, I thought, 'Why not?'

I've worked in retailing, albeit in the supply chain side. From experience, if you hold onto stock for that long, you can pretty much kiss goodbye your profit and should simply cut your losses.

Irrespective of whether or not I only purchase at a discounted price (I don't...I've never haggled for guitars), but taking into account the above, I just figured it was worth a punt. I'd have paid £750-800. My debit card was twitching in my pocket. Twitching!

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1477023525' post='3159291']
I would have mentioned how long they'd had them in stock for and if they shift them on for a not unreasonable discount (say...10%) they'll be able to make room for something else that'll sell faster.
[/quote]

They didn't even want to start the conversation! The guy I spoke to was all flat out, 'Nah, mate, £899.'

I blame the internet! What you see is what you pay online, and that's spread to bricks and mortar. Otherwise people would look at the list-priced (but haggle-able) item in the shop and say, nah, I'll just get it online.

Edited by ras52

Surely the discount in this case is that they [u][i][b]haven't [/b][/i][/u]marked up their price by 15% to reflect the collapse of the UK£ against the US$.

Back in the days when we used to speak in old-fashioned phrases, I'd have described this as "cutting off your nose to spite your face".

But no one talks like that any more, do they?

Makes a lot of sense for a retailer to just quote a genuine price instead of wasting time haggling.

In the haggling marketplace all most people do is stick 10% on the price and then 'allow' the customer to haggle that 10% back off again.

In fact it's not uncommon for some people to add 15% on the price they need to sell at and if they then knock 10% off they are better off than simply selling at a genuine price in the first place.

I do profess to being a little confused as to the Peach Guitars and GAK pricing as neither site is showing these basses. Remember its the non-reverse model, not the better known reverse one. You can't blame internet pricing either as the model is discontinued and unavailable.

Look, I didn't go into London with the expectation of coming home with a bass, plus those who know me will know that I bought one of these basses new when they came out. It was more a case of having a punt.

I'm up in London again at the end December and wouldn't be suprised if they're still on the window in two months.

Without wishing to hijack the thread, can I ask how they balance?

I had a beautiful TB a few months ago, I loved the sound and the neck felt good as well, but oh dear, massive neck dive and just so uncomfortable to play on the strap, so do these sound more or less the same, and do they hang well?

Once again, sorry to go a bit off topic. :unsure:

You might stand a better chance if you go in and try out the bass first. I bought my Epiphone EB-3 from Macari's and made them a very specific offer (logic: I'd seen it cheaper in Guildford, so that price + approximate cost of the train ticket to Guildford) which they seemed very happy to accept. £35 quid off might not seem like the world's greatest haggling, but I've just worked out that actually, that was 14% of the asking price so I think I did quite well!

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1477049943' post='3159490']
Without wishing to hijack the thread, can I ask how they balance?

I had a beautiful TB a few months ago, I loved the sound and the neck felt good as well, but oh dear, massive neck dive and just so uncomfortable to play on the strap, so do these sound more or less the same, and do they hang well?

Once again, sorry to go a bit off topic. :unsure:
[/quote]

I sold my NR to Gus...if you search through my threads you'll turn up some background to the issues I had with it.

That said, while tonally it didn't hit the spot with me (at the time), it did play beautifully; hung nicely on the strap, the neck was nice and fat (totally unlike reverse 'birds) and it's the only recent bass I genuinely regret selling on.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1476996597' post='3159190']
'Best price?' I ask.
'£899'
'Bye then.'
[/quote]

If someone asks me what my "best price" is for something I'm selling I'll tell them "the price I've already given you". If they make an actual offer then thats different.

Edited by bassman7755

I bought several basses from Denmark St back in the 80s - I don't think I ever managed to haggle a penny off any of them. It seemed like all the shops had agreed a policy of not reducing prices so that they weren't cutting there own throats just to get a sale.

TBH I don't think I've ever seen a super bargain/ can't live without that bass in Denmark St.

Nothing to do with the OP but still on the subject of Macaris.
I knew someone who worked there in the 70s. Foyles bookshop had a confusing 'pay this way' sign that would lead some people to cross the road and try and pay for their books in Macaris. He got some Foyles bags and a receipt book and made himself a nice earner for a couple of years. Probably never discounted anything either....

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1477062635' post='3159637']
I bought several basses from Denmark St back in the 80s - I don't think I ever managed to haggle a penny off any of them. It seemed like all the shops had agreed a policy of not reducing prices so that they weren't cutting there own throats just to get a sale.

TBH I don't think I've ever seen a super bargain/ can't live without that bass in Denmark St.
[/quote]
Pretty much the same for me, tho, I'd be going back 20 years or more.