Why become a member? ×

Guitarist tuning up

Kevin Dean

I tune/check tuning after every number discreetly and muted using my floor tuner. If its a run of songs like a segway then I make sure I had a quick check just prior. Any where in the set where I have an opportunity to do so, I check it.
The change in room temp, new stings ect all effect tuning so I like to be anal about it.
I like the guitarist to be anal about too but to also try and do it discreetly and professionally ie: not the old ding ding,,,ding ding,,,,dang dang ,,,,dang dang ect so we all can hear it or to take a long time to do it.
Id rather the gitard was leaning on the OCD about it than the couldn't care less. Quite often, unfortutnatlley, I find my self saying between numbers to current regular gitard: "check your tuning....its a bit out". And even more so at rehearsals along with "can you turn that down, and rather than sit on your amp can you stand away from it a bit and tilt it towards your ears rather than pointing it at...ect ect"

The 2 guitarists in my band (and myself included) have tuner pedals on our boards, and check tuning between numbers (not [i]every[/i] gap though). Takes seconds and is silent. I'd rather we do this than have the set descend into a train wreck.

It's got much quicker now that they've got locking trem systems - one's a Floyd Rose and the other is a Kahler.

Edited by paul_5

I like to seize every available opportunity between songs to discreetly check my tuning, using a muting pedal.

As to your original question, I don't notice my guitarist checking his tuning during gigs, and nor is he noticeably out of tune. So he's either doing it once at the start of the gig, and the guitar is staying in tune, or he's doing it discreetly between songs. Either way, that's fine by me.

S.P.

Eric Johnson is famed for his OCD tuning between every song on stage. I can get that it would be annoying. Depends how much string bending you do I guess. You can do it quickly enough with a clip on or floor tuner - half your strings will be in tune anyway!

IME unless his guitar is very crap or he's keen user of a non-locking vibrato system, then it's entirely down to OCD/comfort blanket.

Any modern guitar (that's something made since the mid-70s) is very unlikely to have machine heads so poor that they are causing string slippage. On the other hand he might not be fitting his strings properly in a way that they don't slip.

I personally think that a lot of guitarists spend far too much time between songs fiddling with their tuning and completely ruining the flow of the set. No one in the audience wants breaks in between the songs where the musicians muck about with the gear even if it is silently. In the days when I was playing non-programmable synths, which are far more time-consuming to set up for each new song than a simple guitar tuning check, I made sure I knew exactly how to get to each new setting as quickly as possible from the moment the last note of the previous song had died away to where I needed to come in on the next without the band having to wait for me. I don't see why guitarists can't do the same. For me learning this is just as important as learning what to play on the songs themselves.

Also IME you have to be very out of tune for most of the audience to even notice. I once did a gig where our guitarist had accidentally managed to change her pedal tuner from A440 to something else. For the whole set we played completely out of tune with each other although perfect in tune with ourselves. Only our (very musical) drummer noticed anything and kept asking us to check out tuning, which of course according to our individual tuners was perfectly fine. It wasn't apparent what had happened until the next rehearsal where it was much easier to hear that we were out of tune with each other!

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1477049686' post='3159487']
And talking of TURNING up...

Why do singers always turn up AFTER all the gear has been lugged in?
[/quote] because they can. they have the power. they are bastards. they chose wisely when deciding their musical path. i wouldn't use them unless it was nessaccary.

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1477051215' post='3159514']
Why wouldn't you take the chance to check your tuning if you have the opportunity ?
[/quote]

There's doing it when you have the opportunity (during a guitar-free song intro or while the front man is telling the audience something important), and obsessively compulsively doing it between every song irrespective of whether your guitar has gone out of tune and holding up the flow of the set.

The problem with guitarist tuning issues is that the worst offenders retreat into a huffy sort of bubble and refuse to accept reassurance ('It sounds fine') or advice ('Tune the string [i]up[/i] to pitch, not down').

As Red points out, the problem is rarely the tuning pegs. Most often it's a binding nut, failure to stretch in the strings before tuning, wildly incorrect intonation and (less often nowadays) the 5 / 7 harmonic tuning method. All these issues are surmountable.

The other challenge is that electronic tuners are great for some keys and positions but not others. So the guitarist tunes up, everything sounds fine with the guitar tuned to itself. Then he plays a song in - say - the key of C and hears some sour notes. So he re-tunes which - of course - makes absolutely no difference to the greater scheme of things. Rinse and repeat.

The really glaring examples of assonance often occur on the G string from about the fourth fret upwards. The only way round this is to start with the basic electronic tuning then adjust individual strings by ear to 'sweeten' the tuning for maximum flexibility.

With a bit of simple preparation it's fairly easy to fix the tuning issue. The big challenge is getting the main offenders to listen to helpful suggestions.