Why become a member? ×

Just modded my new bass - Blue Peter style!

Painy

So last weekend I picked up a new Sterling Sub Ray 5 in a very nice satin translucent blue with black pickguard and rosewood fingerboard.

Now I love the blue but overall I felt it looked a bit dark to really stand out on stage and I generally prefer the look of a maple board anyway.

Having done this before with a few basses previously, I decided to go all Blue Peter with the sticky-back plastic and brighten it up a bit.

Maple woodgrain effect vinyl on the fingerboard and black sticky dots for the fret markets.
Brushed steel effect vinyl on the pickguard.

And here it is:-

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1477105809' post='3159904']
Wow, looks great :) well done.
Any "before" pics?
Any chance of links to products used (especially on the 'plate)?
[/quote]

Thank you very much :)

Everything was bought from eBay.
Brushed steel effect is item number 152130098431.
Maple effect is item number 162118533262.
And the black dots (also available in lots of other exciting colors!!!) is item number 162101009694.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1477128951' post='3159989']
That maple has turned out really well! does it sound more like a maple neck now? :lol: It is only a matter of time before a pub 'expert' tells you after the gig how nice it sounded and that he knew it was a maple board Ray as soon as he walked in, more mellow sounding :)
[/quote]

You know what, it does. And the pickguard has given it more of a metallic zing too ;).

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1477125678' post='3159965']
Excellent Richard, very kind, many thanks for that.
As you've got previous for this and you do a great job, you don't happen to have done a kind of build thread have you? :)
[/quote]

I put up a thread a while back but had to remove the pictures ages ago to free up some of my allowance. If you PM me your email though I'll see if I can dig out some of the pictures and email them to you.
The process itself is pretty much just stick it on and trim around the edge carefully with a sharp scalpel.
(Shhh, don't tell THEM about the scalpel. They'll take it away again and I can't cut it properly with my spoon :crazy:).

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1477133056' post='3160027']

Looks great, nice bit of work.

Although I was half-expecting something with some used toilet roll tubes !
[/quote]

Surely that would have been a more fitting theme if it was a Bongo? :ph34r:

Edited by Painy

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1477128951' post='3159989']
That maple has turned out really well! does it sound more like a maple neck now? :lol: It is only a matter of time before a pub 'expert' tells you after the gig how nice it sounded and that he knew it was a maple board Ray as soon as he walked in, more mellow sounding :)
[/quote]Take it to a bass bash - there might be someone who hasn't read this :lol:

[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1477211904' post='3160498']
You could alternate by fret -maple/rosewood/maple/rosewood etc

That'll screw with the 'experts' minds.....
[/quote]

Or side by side straight down the fretboard.
Obviously maple for the crisp D and G strings and rosewood for the warmer E and A tones.