Why become a member? ×

precision bass help

Fitzy73

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1477150947' post='3160187']
Surely you would know if the pocket needs recutting by marrying the two up?
[/quote]

I'm guessing Fitzy73 is looking at the length, i.e. the Stingray is too long for the Fender pocket. If this is the case, then I'd have thought you would need to cut the pocket, otherwise you'll be in for some long left arm stretches.

I'm sure a more knowledgeable builder will be along shortly!

Not so much how far you'd have to reach, more about maintaining the overall scale length otherwise the intonation would be out.
It could be done either way really but pros and cons to each option.

Moving the bridge would be very easy but would alter the position of the pup in relation to the bridge so would affect the sound of the bass.
Re-cutting the neck pocket would be a lot more work and you'd have to be careful that the whole heal of the neck isn't buried completely in the body or it would probably feel a bit weird. You'd also have to be careful re-drilling the holes for the neck as if they're too close to the original holes it could be a weak spot - although filling the old homes might work. It should keep the precision sound intact though.

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1477212319' post='3160507']
Not so much how far you'd have to reach, more about maintaining the overall scale length otherwise the intonation would be out.
It could be done either way really but pros and cons to each option.
[/quote]

I meant if he was moving the bridge to maintain the scale length. This would move everything towards the left hand, thus making a longer reach.

Might be worth contacting Status - they've probably been asked the question before. Owning both a 'Ray and a P, a quick measurement makes the 'Ray pocket about 1/2 cm longer than the P but both measure 43cm (give or take) from the 12th to the G string bridge saddle. Pocket widths are about the same. However, even if the two could be made to match up, no guarantee that intonation, relief, playing height etc would come together - bit like putting a V8 into a Morris Minor - possible, but inadvisable :-)

[quote name='Fitzy73' timestamp='1477505591' post='3162690']
Hi have both not been used. I like precision basses and l always wanted a graphite neck
[/quote] would it be as easy to get someone to make a precision body to fit the status neck you've got?

[quote name='Fitzy73' timestamp='1477141425' post='3160111']
I have a p bass body and a status stingray neck . I am thinking of putting them together . My question is do I move the bridge or recut the pocket. Any help would be great
[/quote]I have two precisions with Status graphite necks on, I purchased them direct from Status and they fitted perfectly onto my P bass bodies, they also play and sound great to my ears, very articulate, but not cold sounding as some people might say.

You say you refer P's, so it sounds like you want a P with a graphite neck, rather than a Stingray with a graphite neck, so if it was me, I would sell the Stingray neck which is unused, so you should get a good price for it, and put the money towards a new graphite neck from Status which should just slot into your P bass body, job done!

But if it was [u]really me[/u], I would almost certainly buy a Stingray body to fit the Stingray neck you already have, and then buy a Status graphite neck to fit the P body you already have.

I would then have a P and a Stingray both fitted with graphite necks! :)

Edited by thebrig