Why become a member? ×

Tell me about WAL

Roger2611

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1477261199' post='3161020']
Which is the case for many other basses at a quarter of the cost. I'm starting to smell Wal-elitism (Walism).
[/quote]

Nope, those of us who love Wals love them because we really rate them and they do it for us look, feel and sound wise. Others may hate them (and there are plenty of threads here that espouse their fuglyness), consider their tone controls too complicated or find their design or neck shape ungainly. There are plenty of basses that for me have been hit by the ugly stick too whether they are Bongos, ACGs, Foderas or pretty much any modern single cut. Doesn't mean that those who extol their beauty, playability or sound are elitist either... they're just fans too.

Cf the response to any other enthused after bass on here whether it's P bass fanatics... "They just sit in a mix like no other bass", "Its only one sound but, boy, what a sound." "It's not just a one sound bass, they're really versatile." etc etc or whatever. I'd call that enthusiasm not snobbery (inverted or otherwise).

As to Wals. I'm a fan. No arguments there. Does that mean I look down on other basses or those who play them? Don't be ridiculous. However, I will say that, for me they play beautifully ("for me", underlined twice in red pencil with a ruler) and I am able to get a range of tones out of my Wal bass that I've genuinely not found on any other active or passive bass I've tried out. They are exquisitely hand built in small numbers using almost only proprietary hardware (the tuners, strap buttons and fret wire being the only off the shelf items I can think of on a Wal).

The OP asked what it was that Wal fans love about Wal basses and why they seem to be so highly rated by many. In that context a bunch of posts from past and present owners saying, "I know I'm biased but in my eyes they're fab because..." really isn't elitism. It's justifiable enthusiasm in response to a request for enthusiasm from a bunch of enthusiasts. I love my Wals and I love playing them but it doesn't mean I look down on the Aria SB700 I was playing this morning and this evening - though I will concede that, as lovely as it played and sounded in my eyes the Wal is a better more versatile bass. Just is.

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1477235426' post='3160740'] #favebassever Bah! That YouTube playlist doesn't show how much I like Wals... ...THIS shows how much I like Wals! http://youtu.be/Cot2EN0JrS0 [/quote]Just watched all 4 parts of that talk; nice one! :)

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1477261199' post='3161020']
Which is the case for many other basses at a quarter of the cost. I'm starting to smell Wal-elitism (Walism).
[/quote]
If that was the case these other basses (any examples?) would be coveted and played by the good an great and have an equally stellar reputation.

No [i]isms[/i] here. There are good basses and great basses. Wal is one of the latter.

Unique tone from proprietary multicoil pickups,
Aesthetics are an acquired taste,
Damn expensive,
Woods, electronics and hardware beautifully and meticulously crafted with astonishing attention to detail,
Some older ones weigh as much as an adult hippo...

... I've not played anything better :)

Edited by CamdenRob

hi specto,
Wal-elitism (Walism)..... welllll, i did not want to say so .... but yea, i like to think so :lol:

Joking aside, i use my G&L more than my wal now, been using mine for 30 years and the poor thing
has done it all without a single moan,
when i say done it all, to put that into perspective, its on its 3rd wal case, its done ALOT,
so now its sort of retired,
I did have a problem replacing it, the only thing i found ( and i have alot of basses to choose from)
is a G&L L2000 the heavy older ones. (But esp the E series with mk 1 pre amp)
has not got the tone scope of the wal but has the power and feels right.

Edit.. ( if any one has an E series G&L (fretless or natural necked ) please get intouch, cheers)

Edited by funkgod

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1477165196' post='3160340']
The Wal sound couldn't be further from that... Famed for their growl and their middle but humongously versatile too. You might want to have a browse at my blog which should give you quite a bit to chew over...

[url="http://walbasshistory.blogspot.co.uk/"]http://walbasshistory.blogspot.co.uk/[/url]

Then check out some Wal tones in action. Here's my Youtube playlist...

[url="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGIYNBxcSZ3uo0Dv4GUoVf-4yKXu7xmKT"]https://www.youtube....UoVf-4yKXu7xmKT[/url]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1d4r9awjKE&list=PLGIYNBxcSZ3uo0Dv4GUoVf-4yKXu7xmKT[/media]
[/quote]

Ahhh, Bruce Thomas. What a bloody fabulous bass player he is.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1477166638' post='3160347']
Having said that, one of my heroes, Mick Karn, used one to unbelievable effect - check out his tones for examples of the Wal's versatility.
[/quote]

He did. But he sounded very similar (if not IMO slightly better) when he was using his Travis Bean TB2000.

[quote name='stuckinthepod' timestamp='1477307055' post='3161199']
I have two words for you... JUSTIN CHANCELLOR of Tool. Great example of his Wal tone here [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj_xjzyAarA"]https://www.youtube....h?v=yj_xjzyAarA[/url]
[/quote]

Second biggest reason I bought a Wal. His tones are just incredible, and so much of it is because of that bass.

There is nothing like them.

[quote name='funkgod' timestamp='1477173046' post='3160397']
i dont know why my links come up as lines?.

[/quote]

When you copy / paste the YT link , take out the letter 'S' from the https bit and ipsofacto, you will get the vid showing

[quote name='funkgod' timestamp='1477307675' post='3161207']
hi specto,
Wal-elitism (Walism)..... welllll, i did not want to say so .... but yea, i like to think so :lol:

Joking aside, i use my G&L more than my wal now, been using mine for 30 years and the poor thing
has done it all without a single moan,
when i say done it all, to put that into perspective, its on its 3rd wal case, its done ALOT,
so now its sort of retired,
I did have a problem replacing it, the only thing i found ( and i have alot of basses to choose from)
is a G&L L2000 the heavy older ones. (But esp the E series with mk 1 pre amp)
has not got the tone scope of the wal but has the power and feels right[/quote]
Funny that as that's pretty much where I'm at as well :)

Love my Wal as it is a joy, so easy to play and sits so well in a mix. She's semi retired now after 35 years of hard graft with me for the L2500's, but still comes out to play for the occasional prog gig and rather more regular & laid back originals band. It'll be the last bass to leave me.

My youngest son, who is a pretty good guitarist (fr more technically proficient than me) started noodling on bass and borrowed a couple of old passive basses from me when he was teaching himself. I came home after a holiday and he admitted to having sneaked a go on my Wal while I was away. His comment was "now I see what all the fuss is about". That said I will happily admit to having tried a couple out at the Bass Centre in Wapping before I got mine in around 82, and really did not get on with them. Then I got mine and fell in love. Nearly fell for a Geddy Lee 4 a month back that similarly was a joy to play, sounded great and completely blew away the other bass I tried in the shop that day (an M series G&L Tribute that stood no chance)

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1477347867' post='3161691']
When you copy / paste the YT link , take out the letter 'S' from the https bit and ipsofacto, you will get the vid showing
[/quote]

cheers fleebag al try that.

[quote name='WalMan' timestamp='1477349705' post='3161705']
Funny that as that's pretty much where I'm at as well :)

Love my Wal as it is a joy, so easy to play and sits so well in a mix. She's semi retired now after 35 years of hard graft with me for the L2500's, but still comes out to play for the occasional prog gig and rather more regular & laid back originals band. It'll be the last bass to leave me.
[/quote]

its funny how many wal players tend to also go for the G&L, when i was teaching bass some ( a few of them are on here) who also have wal basses also have and mainly use G&L, one who had a few wals said due to the places he plays, he was too scared to take them out, so after trying a few basses he ended up like you with a very nice L2500. and loves it,.

Out of interest has anybody tried a Wal back to back with the ACG Uber spec basses with the multi coils and filter EQs, definitely a nod to Wal? I've had a very quick go on a Wal but not long enough to form any kind of objective opinion.

Edited by ead

I've never had the opportunity but it would be really interesting to have the chance to have a compare/contrast between the two - esp if they were similarly specced . As you said, clearly some inspiration behind the design/approach (which is fair enough). I keep looking at ACGs and thinking that they look like really nicely put together, well built basses and very reasonably priced for what they offer at all spec levels. However, for me they're just one of those brands where the aesthetics of any of the models don't do it for me. :(

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1477329737' post='3161488']
He did. But he sounded very similar (if not IMO slightly better) when he was using his Travis Bean TB2000.
[/quote]

Not to be too much of a pedant, but actually the (original) version of Quiet Life on Trevor's Playlist features the Travis Bean and not the Wal shown in the video. This clip was filmed later when the song was re-released and Mick Karn was just swapping to using Wal at that point.

[quote name='matski' timestamp='1477659437' post='3163652']

Not to be too much of a pedant, but actually the (original) version of Quiet Life on Trevor's Playlist features the Travis Bean and not the Wal shown in the video. This clip was filmed later when the song was re-released and Mick Karn was just swapping to using Wal at that point.
[/quote]

#shock! Surely you're not implying that he's miming in the video????? :D ;) #lol

Actually, do you have any idea how little good audio/video quality footage of Japan post '81 is available on YouTube? Most of it is not available on mobile platforms or has been blocked by BBC Worldwide. And on their really good OGWT show Mick's playing oboe for half of it!! But have stuck on a few more verifiably Karn/Wal tracks...

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1477385966' post='3161810']
I've never had the opportunity but it would be really interesting to have the chance to have a compare/contrast between the two - esp if they were similarly specced . As you said, clearly some inspiration behind the design/approach (which is fair enough). I keep looking at ACGs and thinking that they look like really nicely put together, well built basses and very reasonably priced for what they offer at all spec levels. However, for me they're just one of those brands where the aesthetics of any of the models don't do it for me. :(
[/quote]

I love the look of Wals, I'm with you on ACG though, whilst they're obviously well constructed, I really don't like the body styling at all.

One day I'll hopefully own a pair of 6 string Wals, one fretted and one fretless.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1477329737' post='3161488']
[/quote]

Yes, he'd already found his "tone" before the Wal. If he'd been able to keep the TB in tune he'd probably stuck with it too.

• 2 months later...