Why become a member? ×

Just got home early from our gig tonight and I'm not a happy bunny!

thebrig

Just got home early from our gig tonight and I'm not a happy bunny!

Our gig tonight was a two hour round trip for three of us, and a three hour round trip for our vocalist, but while we were setting up, the assistant manager said that because it's the landladies' hen night, the pub is not going to be very busy because she will be taking a lot of the regular customers with her, and that they weren't expecting many in.

Because of this, he said he wont be taking much money so can we just play the first set and he will pay us half the fee, I replied that we have travelled a long way and would rather fulfil the agreement.

He wasn't very happy, but we started anyway, and by the end of the first set we were playing to four people, the others in the band wanted to call it a day because they feared he would not pay the full fee even if we carry on, so I said, "[i]the fact that there aren't many punters in tonight is not our fault, and we are a semi-professional band who entered into an agreement with the venue to play two sets for an agreed fee[/i]", but they still worried we wouldn't get payed the full amount so insisted on packing up early and accept half the fee.

What annoys me even more is the fact that the landlady phoned me Monday morning to discuss arrival and setting up time, and she must have known then that there is a possibility of the pub being empty because of her hen night, so she could have suggested cancelling the gig and re-booking us for a later date, and although we would have been disappointed, at least we wouldn't have wasted our time.

Personally I feel a bit let down by my bandmates for not backing me, and for making it too easy for the venue to mug us off, I feel we should [u]all[/u] have stood our ground and demanded we get payed what was agreed.

So am I entitled to be annoyed, or should I just accept that these things happen. :(

What would you have done in this situation?

Entitled to be annoyed, definitely. Accept it and move on, yes. That sucks. That'd be the last gig I'd do at that venue. Sounds like a messy situation. I'd put it down as a bad one and forget about it. Venue, landlords and all.
Shame your band mates didn't back you, but you were outnumbered and it would have been a worse situation if their fears had been realised.

I think Tims right on that, see if she knows anything about this. It may well be said manager just wanted to pack up early and never thought of pocketing the cash, but even then, was it with her approval. It`s a pretty poor show, but given the crowd - or lack of it - I can see his point, but to me it`s the landladys call to make, not his.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1477180101' post='3160420']
I think a call to the landlady on Monday to make sure that she agreed this with her manager and he hasn't just pocketed your cash.

Then play it by ear.

Pub gigs eh.
[/quote]She was there when we arrived and I introduced myself to her, it was obvious she had already had a few drinks, but she was fine and didn't say anything at the time, but later on when we were sound checking, I did notice her having words with the manager a few times and looking over at us, so maybe they were talking about paying us off early.

The pub is a tied pub by one of the brewery giants, and I know their pubs have a budget for entertainment because I know a few managers of these pubs personally, the chances are, the books will show they had a band on last night, and the fee which is agreed by the brewery would have been paid in full. :angry:

I think you're right to be annoyed with the venue, but if your bandmates wanted to call it a day then, well...once you've made it clear to them that you're disappointed that they didn't agree with you then I think you have to put that down to a difference of opinion.

Landlords/landladies who are passionate about music don't act like that.... it was just your bad luck, I suppose, and you can make more informed decisions in future. Personally I wouldn't go back.
I remember we once landed a gig in a well known muso pub in Halifax (no, can't remember the name of the damn place). We thought this was a good deal at the time. When we got there, we discovered it was Wakes week or summat and the whole place had bogged off on holiday. We played to one man and his dog, but there was no question of being paid off or short changed. We did wonder afterwards whether the landlord was giving us a try out.

I'd have wanted to turn round right there...if the pub isn't committed to live music then I've got better things to waste time on and playing to an empty pub is not one of them.

And I'd fully expect the band to back that up by not playing there again..or other places like it.

Many pub landlords / ladies are just really disorganised. This just highlights that. Poor of your bandmates not to back you up though. If you agreed a fee then you agreed a fee regardless of whether the venue was able to make money. If they didn't think it would be profitable on the night they should have cancelled sooner. I think a booking form with a few terms and conditions could be helpful for future bookings.

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1477232296' post='3160716']
Many pub landlords / ladies are just really disorganised.
[/quote]

That's as likely as anything in my experience.

It stinks, and I'd have been backing you but getting on with your band mates and supporting the majority decision is worth an awful lot more than one bad gig.

Bad luck, it's a horrible and unnecessary situation.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1477233159' post='3160720']
I know that pub, that was quite a trek for that type of gig, who booked it in the first place?
[/quote]I did, we are a newish band trying to get onto the local circuit, so I sent out loads of emails direct or via their Facebook pages to pubs that have bands, obviously you don't know whether the pubs are going to be dedicated music pubs, or just have the occasional band until you actually get there, as it turned out, it's not the type of place we would want to play at if we had known what it was like in the first place, nice big stage though.

They might have got a few more in if they'd updated their facebook page since september too? Pubs eh. I've put it on my avoid list and will tip off our guitarist that does the booking, we are doing a gig not far from there soon but it's a ticketed one so hopefully the punters won't all be in the Foresters instead :)

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1477233800' post='3160728']
I did, we are a newish band trying to get onto the local circuit, so I sent out loads of emails direct or via their Facebook pages to pubs that have bands, obviously you don't know whether the pubs are going to be dedicated music pubs, or just have the occasional band until you actually get there, as it turned out, it's not the type of place we would want to play at if we had known what it was like in the first place, nice big stage though.
[/quote]

Could have been a good gig if it was full, they know how to party around there! Lol.

The Stumble Inn in Cannock is more of a live band pub over that way, have you tried that one, nice easy lift into the stage area too.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1477233910' post='3160730']
Could have been a good gig if it was full, they know how to party around there! Lol.
[/quote]The four people who [u]were[/u] in there seemed to be enjoying it as they were singing along and tapping their hands on the table etc, and I think they must have asked the assistant manager why we finished after the first set, because I overheard him saying to them that he couldn't afford to pay us because there wasn't enough punters in.

Shame :(

The Market Vaults in Stafford has music on every week and it's in the town centre so you can get foot fall unlike pubs like The Forresters. It's not very big at all and isnt the best payer but we've had some great nights there, I've played there with every band in Stafford over the years either in the band or as a dep I think! :D

The Swan in Stafford is probably the best gig in town, they are outside and only during the summer but it takes some serious ass licking to get in the loop, again easiest way in is to get a dep gig there with someone else's band :lol:

Edited by stingrayPete1977

So basically the booker (the landlady) strips the audience out of the venue for her own amusement then only pays half the agreed fee because there's hardly anyone there?

That's like the old thing about the definition of cheek as being 'pissing through someone's letterbox then ringing the doorbell to ask them how far it went up the wall'.

Unbelievable.