Why become a member? ×

Just got home early from our gig tonight and I'm not a happy bunny!

thebrig

That's just not acceptable - but it happens, and it tends to be us musicians who take the hit to maintain good will with the venues. Having said that, you're obviously better off without this one - unless of course the landlady makes some kind of gesture that makes things better. As already mentioned, the real loss will be if it creates a bad atmosphere within the band. A line I've used whenever there's any kind of disagreement with a venue is: "The fee we agreed wouldn't even be enough to hire our equipment for the night!" Even if it doesn't work, it makes me feel like we've taken the moral high ground!

Without wishing to get everyone feeling sorry for me, I would like to say that I was on the verge of packing up gigging due to my severe back problem, I've already started selling off some of my basses (three this week), because I know the day I have to quit is getting nearer, I'm on nineteen tablets a day plus liquid morphine every four hours, so I'm drugged up to the eyeballs, I've not been able to drive for some time now, so my wife had to drive me to the gig last night and she hates driving in the dark, but because I'm a dedicated and reliable person, I wanted to complete our remaining three gigs to the end of the year no matter what, I did not want to let the venue down so I carried on despite the pain, and this is how they treat you.

BTW, I said I was on the verge of quitting, I now have, I'm a bit old school when it comes to being reliable and courteous etc, but I've got to realise that there is no point in worrying about commitments, no one else seems to these days. :(

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1477242694' post='3160814']

How many hen nights would you expect the landlady to have?
[/quote]

Well if the whole pub went on hers including all the men by the sounds of it then they must alk be friends so every time anyone else that drinks there has an outing the whole pub will probably go again?

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1477189064' post='3160449']
I suppose these things do happen from time to time but I'd be more annoyed about my band mates wimping on thisthan the pub arsing about to be honest.
[/quote]

Yeah, I wouldn't have said anything but I would not have been happy with my band mates.

Chalk it up to a learning experience. An hour commute should be reserved for "Cherry" above average pay gigs.

Blue

Make sure you plaster it all over Farcebook. Since you're not playing there again, they deserve it

And to add to that pub name, here's another. The Red Lion, Cropedy. They tried the same trick. The landlord even left the pub and phoned his staff from a distance
to give us the good news, becuase he was an utter coward

The bar staff handed the phone to our rhyth git and was relaying the chat to the rest of us. The drummer shouted out loud enough for the landlord to hear what he said.

They paid up. We packed up

Edited by fleabag

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1477242200' post='3160806']
Without wishing to get everyone feeling sorry for me, I would like to say that I was on the verge of packing up gigging due to my severe back problem, I've already started selling off some of my basses (three this week), because I know the day I have to quit is getting nearer, I'm on nineteen tablets a day plus liquid morphine every four hours, so I'm drugged up to the eyeballs, I've not been able to drive for some time now, so my wife had to drive me to the gig last night and she hates driving in the dark, but because I'm a dedicated and reliable person, I wanted to complete our remaining three gigs to the end of the year no matter what, I did not want to let the venue down so I carried on despite the pain, and this is how they treat you.

BTW, I said I was on the verge of quitting, I now have, I'm a bit old school when it comes to being reliable and courteous etc, but I've got to realise that there is no point in worrying about commitments, no one else seems to these days. :(
[/quote]

Sorry to hear this.
Hope things pick up a bit and that you are able to carry on playing; even if it's only at home.

This is the type of stuff that turns guys off for playing in bands and gigging.

I would bet that most guys that are down on gigging have had some sort of negative band experience that helped them decide gigging was not for them.

A really good reason that you ask a lot of questions before joining your first serious band.

Blue