Why become a member? ×

Help!!! Cab failure at last night's gig.

Painy

One of my DB112s stopped working completely during soundcheck (sounded crackly for a few notes then died - literally no sound at all). Not had a chance to test where the fault it's yet other than to check all the connections/cables/swapped channels on the amp, but other than that I figure it could only really be the driver, the tweeter or the crossover and given that neither the driver or the tweeter are making any sound, my money would be on the crossover.
Now I can find replacement speakers and tweeters online if it does turn out to be either of them but I'm struggling to find a replacement crossover in the UK as I'd ideally prefer to use a genuine Aguilar part. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1477212802' post='3160520']
Could be the Speakon connector on the cab. If one of the wires is off, that would do it.
[/quote]

All the wires seemed firmly connected when we checked it last night and it was the same through the jack inputs too unfortunately.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1477213473' post='3160529']
Barnes & Mullins are the Aguilar stockist/distributors in the UK. I`ve bought a couple of things from them and they`re incredibly swift:

http://www.bandm.co.uk/
[/quote]

Thanks for that. I'm gonna open the cab up today and have a proper look - hopefully borrow a multi meter from a neighbor as mine went missing when I moved house a while ago. Once I know what I need I'll send them an email.

Well it looks like I've killed the speaker :(.
Tried wiring the driver straight to the input and nothing so tested with a 9v battery and no movement there either.
I can get a new speaker next day delivery which is great as I have a gig next week but now I can't work out how to get the grill off to swap the speaker over.
Any help from any Aguilar DB112 cab used would be very much appreciated.

I did this on a GS -which uses the same chassis, as it happens, ...on the DB cabs, they load from the front, I think. Is there not a little felt pull on the front near the bottom...?

I think the fronts leaver off... but don't want to suggest you start hacking away with a screw driver

[quote name='taunton-hobbit' timestamp='1477243978' post='3160828']
Umm - I'd be a bit worried about how 'I killed the speaker' ????

:mellow:
[/quote]

I've a feeling it may have largely been down to an Aphex Bass Xciter that I'd been using until recently (turns out it sounds better without it anyway) but I think the damage had already been done.

Edited by Painy

it's pretty much true of most set ups that anything that boosts bass at audible frequencies will also boost inaudible subsonics as well. Subsonics at any real volume will undo any speaker in a ported cab. Unless you are absolutely confident of the operating conditions of your speaker it is worth looking at something (a Thumpinator) which will filter out the subsonics.

Go on the Eminence website and look at their own designs, almost all of them will specify a high pass filter if you want to use a speaker with high power bass. That's not special to Eminence, just that they tell you about it. The Beta 12 specified as 250w is limited to just 100W/150W for bass unless you use a high pass filter http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Beta_12A-2_cab.pdf

If you want to use bass boost or boosting fx then you need a filter or lots of speakers to be safe.

I agree with Phil. The best purchase you can buy is a High Pass Filter( Thumpinator or similar) if your amp does not have one. There is nothing useful below 30Hz and little below 60Hz.

Stay away from Sub bass exiters and octavers. They destroy time and speakers!

I'm not using the Xciter anymore in any case (I actually sold it a few weeks ago to remove temptation) but I think a Thumpinator may still find its way into my letter to Santa this year (shame because I really wanted to ask for a red chopper bike with a flag and a Beano annual).

As far as removing the grill goes, a chap in the Aguilar owners facebook group refund you have to unscrew the corner protectors first to release it so I'll try that later.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1477342015' post='3161631']
Looking at the specs the Aguilar ag500 has 40hz shelving anyway.
[/quote]

That's interesting, I didn't think to check. In that case, hopefully just not adding all those extra lows in future that will be enough avoid further damage.

Looks like I'm back on with Santa for the chopper bike and Beano annual then, get in! :)