Why become a member? ×

Strings--Pizz & Arco

gypsyjazzer

[b]I was just wondering:[/b] I have 2 D/B's and one EUB. On one of my bass's I have a set of Evah Weichs on. I like the tension of the Weichs. Sounds pretty good on both pizz. & arco.

Have you tried Evah Weichs and tried another make of strings which sound better than the Evah Weichs on both pizz. & Arco?

For you classical guys who play arco most of the time which make of string do you prefer?

[b]Just to mention: [/b]I have played pizz for many years and only just began on arco. For those who have never played arco get a bow and try arco---very therapeutic--love it--great for intonation. Should have got into arco years go--opens up a whole new world out there. (That's my '2 cents' opinion anyway).

There are the Obligatos which were the default string for hybrid playing for years. As soon as the Evahs came out, most players switched to Evahs. Evahs are more gut-like than the Obligato. Obligatos are a bit stiffer than the Evah weich and brighter.

Spirocore weich are also a good hybrid string. They are much thinner and brighter than the Evahs. If the bass has a bright tone itself, it might be too much. The tone is clearer with the Spiros in general. Also the Corelli tungsten 370 are a nice hybrid string. Very thin and low tension, clear and easy with the bow. They need a good bass with a strong tone or they sound too thin.

I think that it really depends on what bass you use. The Zyex are quite bright, so if your bass has a dark tone it might be good (as Geoffs bass, I think), but on a lot of basses they would be too bright. They also do not have much character- the Evahs have more "bottom" and are definately easier under the bow. As a pure Jazz string, I thing Zyex are good, but as a hybrid string, I dont like them that much.

I use Thomastik Bel Canto, they suit my bass better than the Evah Pirazzi it had when I bought it. The sound of the instrument is quite bright, so I'm wondering about a change to Flexocor Originals, but I'm not a great fan of the endless search for the "perfect" string.

I like the Belcanto a lot for bowing- in fact it is the most commonly used string in orchestras. I really dont like the pizz sound, though. They lack in sustain and clarity played pizzicato. Flexocore Original are perhaps the second most used in orchestras (at least until the Flex Deluxe came out), they sound darker than the Belcanto. If it still sounds too bright for your ear, the Flexo Org. could be better for your bass. Also note that there are Evah weich and mittel- the weich (light gauge) are not a good arco string. The mittel (medium tension) are much better for bowing- they also sound darker than the Belcanto.

Another top arco string is the Pirastro Passione. They are definately darker than the Belcanto and have a really nice, deep, refined tone. Not a good hybrid string, though.

Edited by BaconCheese