Why become a member? ×

Which part of your setup bass,amp,cab etc do you prioritize

Twincam

Looking for peoples own views on which part of there kit is most important to them. Obviously you can argue and rightly so the whole package is as well as who is playing it. But if you had to pick from your instrument, amp or cab which one do you think is the most important and why.

Edited by Twincam

For me it would seem like the cab is the most important part.
If you have a dog of an instrument a good player can work around it and its hard to get a bad sounding instrument these days. And if you have a not so good but fully functioning amp there's a good chance you could find a basic setting that would just about work or using in conjunction with fx etc assuming its of the right power required.
However if you have a rubbish cab then it doesn't matter what you do the sound will always be bad. And although cabs have improved it seems an area where you should spend that little bit extra. Not that I'm saying there are not good budget cabs but there does seem a larger gulf between a cheap cab and a high end one. Than comparing instruments and amps.
That's my opinion anyway.

My bass is personal (comfort aesthetics as well as tone) but my amp and cab... I'd not put up with cack but there are many good combinations.

Oddly if it was down to which one affects my tone the most (ie on stage) the cab could well be the clincher; I could get a decent sound out of most half decent basses (I might not like the look or feel), an amplifier, so long as as it isn't totally pants, should just amplify but the cab you can't do much about. A boxy/nasty cab will ruin anything you put into it.

Bass comes first. It's the source of the sound (well I guess my fingers are really the source but I'm stuck with the ones I have) and amps and cabs are only used on about 50% of the gigs I do now. For me it's a bit like recording and mixing studio stuff - get the sound right at source and you stand a far better chance of a great sound in the mix.

It took me a long time to figure out it was the cab that was the most important element when playing live. Cheap instruments can be worked on but you can put a five grand bass through a dodgy cab and it will sound like you just picked it out of a skip.

Don't skimp on the cab kids!

It use to be easy for me back in the 70s. You had a bass, an amp with 3 parameters, volume, bass and treble..

Now It's really hard for me. An amp with highs, lows, mids, contour, presence, boost , gain woofer and tweeter parameters.

Add to that a bass with active pre amp for treble and bass boost. Oh and a fully loaded pedal board.

I won't even look at the parameters on my cabs.

If I dial in something good it's pure luck.

Should I go back to the 70s where I belong?

Blue

Edited by blue

In the old days, in the Hi-Fi world, they used to say that you should split your budget, spending 50% on the speakers and 50% on the rest.

Having only played boutique-ish (Dynacord, MM, Mesa, Aguilar, Epifani, Bergs and Barefaced) cabs since the mid 80's I'd say that a quality cab will have the greatest effect on improving the sound of an average amp, bass or player. It's the one component in the signal chain that can do this. If you don't have a good cab then everything else is fighting a loosing battle.

[quote name='steantval' timestamp='1477297350' post='3161105']
Whatever the equipment, it's only as good as the person playing through it.
[/quote]

Which is why the answer should be the bass..because that is your initial connection between and being heard.

The bass set-up is very personal to me..and I wouldn't bother with a lot of people's basses...which is funny because when they play mine, they really like it... but in terms of set-up they are miles apart.
I'm thinking why don't they work on the set-up... but they seem to accept them straight out of the box with the same strings from yester-year..and they don't even know what strings they are..??

I don't get this ..??

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1477302658' post='3161160']

Which is why the answer should be the bass..because that is your initial connection between and being heard.

The bass set-up is very personal to me..and I wouldn't bother with a lot of people's basses...which is funny because when they play mine, they really like it... but in terms of set-up they are miles apart.
I'm thinking why don't they work on the set-up... but they seem to accept them straight out of the box with the same strings from yester-year..and they don't even know what strings they are..??

I don't get this ..??
[/quote]

Some people really can just pickup and play anything as long as the setup isn't tottaly stupid so to say. Some people are not as sensitive.
A bit like people who can play any neck size or radius fingerboard.
Also some people can still get a decent sound out of ancient strings.

I myself could of easily said bass first too. But I choose cab.

Anyhow regardless of bass, amp or cab DONT FLATWOUNDS MAKE US ALL SOUND THE SAME!?.....

;D I'm joking btw

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1477267958' post='3161048']
It use to be easy for me back in the 70s. You had a bass, an amp with 3 parameters, volume, bass and treble..

Now It's really hard for me. An amp with highs, lows, mids, contour, presence, boost , gain woofer and tweeter parameters.

Add to that a bass with active pre amp for treble and bass boost. Oh and a fully loaded pedal board.

I won't even look at the parameters on my cabs.

If I dial in something good it's pure luck.

Should I go back to the 70s where I belong?

Blue
[/quote]

I thought you played a hofner, p bass etc and an ampeg b15. Or is that in my imagination lol.

I reckon the it's the cab. Everything else can be tweaked (eq settings, playing style and position etc...) but there's no way to adjust the sound of a cab ( withthe exception of positioning, but there's seldom any opportunity to do this on a gig).

For me it's the bass without a doubt. That's where my tone is and i've found it in the TRB, with flat EQ (in the bass's preamp) it has the tone i have in my head. Strings are a big part of the sound also! The amp/cab are only there to make it sound louder without changing the tone, could be any brand that sound as clear a possible.