Why become a member? ×

Respraying a guitar over existing finish

landwomble

It depends, but usually the answer is yes you can just respray over the current finish. It actually has some benefits to doing so as the current paint job should be very flat and even, which gives you a head start.

Possible issues could be contaminates on the existing finish or if it's currently an oil finish (in which case it needs stripping). To deal with the contaminates it is good practice to lightly block sand with 600 paper (this also give a bit of a key) then wipe down with naphtha or similar. However if Silicone is present you'll have a nightmare removing it as it just seems to get spread around!

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1477322600' post='3161402']
An alternative to naphtha (which I think is a USA name) is lighter fluid. White spirit is an option but some brands contain heavier hydrocarbon fractions that may not evaporate fully
[/quote]

Yep, I must be using too many US forums - Naphtha is basically lighter fluid over here, low odor White Spirit is often Hydrogenated Heavy Naphtha also.

Edited by Manton Customs

• 2 weeks later...

This usually depends upon what type of finish is on already. Polys & Nitro's generally don't mix well. For me, I've always preferred stripping and re-doing the whole system in materials appropriate to your choice of finish.