Why become a member? ×

Poxy bloody 2016!!!! Pete Burns now!!!!

barneyg42

I know he was more known these days for his plastic surgery than his earlier music but I'm still sad to hear of his passing. A friend of mine once paid for a taxi ride home with Pete and Margox (Margi Clarke) from Manchester - they didn't have any cash. The next day Pete turned up at my mates house and paid him back for the taxi. A couple of weeks later my mate's mother calls him over to the TV when Dead or Alive were performing 'You Spin Me Round' on TOTP, saying something like 'Isn't that the guy who came round the house the other day?'. My mate had no idea who Pete Burns was or that he was about to become famous.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1477343446' post='3161652']

Fair enough, I'll delete it.
[/quote]

No. I agree. Dead or Alive had a few hits in the mid 80s but he wasn't exactly a household name and not one of the big 60s/70s artists now in their 70s who will now be regularly appearing in the obits.

Even as a teenager in the 80s I only know his name because he was on Never Mind the Buzzcocks a couple of times.

I always thought of him as a 'celebrity' rather than a musician. He was a friend of Boy George IIRC and found his way into the limelight by association. I know only of that one song. Nevertheless, I thought he was a strong personality and challenging in a positive way. Definitely too young to pass in that way.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1477346060' post='3161674']

No. I agree. Dead or Alive had a few hits in the mid 80s but he wasn't exactly a household name and not one of the big 60s/70s artists now in their 70s who will now be regularly appearing in the obits.

Even as a teenager in the 80s I only know his name because he was on Never Mind the Buzzcocks a couple of times.
[/quote]
They must have been strong drugs you were on it the 80s. Buzzcocks only started in 96

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1477392855' post='3161880']
They must have been strong drugs you were on it the 80s. Buzzcocks only started in 96
[/quote]

I think he's saying that PB didn't make any impression on him in the 80s, and that he only knows him from being on the telly a couple of times since.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1477395377' post='3161915']

I think he's saying that PB didn't make any impression on him in the 80s, and that he only knows him from being on the telly a couple of times since.
[/quote]

I think Lord Sausage was attempting to be funny. ;)

[quote name='MisterT' timestamp='1477395287' post='3161911']
You got me searching there cos I was a fan of Nightmares on Wax (Warp records, all that) - just found it was Nightmares [u]in[/u] Wax. I had no idea Pete had done this, you learn something new everyday. RIP.
[/quote]

Oops!
When you get to my age your memory isn't quite...

Now what did I come in here for?