Why become a member? ×

Fool for your loving Whitesnake accurate tab anyone??

thebigyin

Hi Folks struggling to nail this classic tune anyone got some accurate tab for this....i'm not the best of Bassists and desperately trying to improve my knowledge and playing skills the Bass line is actually very difficult and busy...it's just put into perspective how bad i am any help and support, advice greatly appreciated cheers Bob

[quote name='thebigyin' timestamp='1477418520' post='3162110']...advice greatly appreciated ...[/quote]

Here you go, two versions that are very similar, in Pdf format. Download and change the suffix to 'Pdf'...

[attachment=230784:Whitesnake - Fool For Your Loving (with Steve Vai).pdf]

[attachment=230785:Whitesnake - Fool For Your Loving.pdf]

Enjoy; bon courage. Guitar Pro 6 is very good for learning stuff like this.

(The twiddly bits are just decoration, really, so they could be added after you've got the main structure down 'pat'. Don't fret over a silly little 'throw-away' twiddle...).

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1477419331' post='3162120']
Here you go, two versions that are very similar, in Pdf format. Download and change the suffix to 'Pdf'...

[attachment=230784:Whitesnake - Fool For Your Loving (with Steve Vai).pdf]

[attachment=230785:Whitesnake - Fool For Your Loving.pdf]

Enjoy; bon courage. Guitar Pro 6 is very good for learning stuff like this.

(The twiddly bits are just decoration, really, so they could be added after you've got the main structure down 'pat'. Don't fret over a silly little 'throw-away' twiddle...).
[/quote]

What's a .ipb file? My PC doesn't recognise it.

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1477426110' post='3162205']
What's a .ipb file? My PC doesn't recognise it.
[/quote]

RTFS... "...[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Download and change the suffix to 'Pdf'..."[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]It's the Forum software which [s]buggers up[/s] changes the file names; an unwanted 'feature'. The cure is easy, though, as long as one knows about it, which is why I mentioned it.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Does this help..?[/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1477426564' post='3162206']
RTFS... "...[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Download and change the suffix to 'Pdf'..."[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]It's the Forum software which [s]buggers up[/s] changes the file names; an unwanted 'feature'. The cure is easy, though, as long as one knows about it, which is why I mentioned it.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Does this help..?[/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

Yes that works. Is this Apple being difficult and having its h*** stuck up its a*** again? What is wrong with calling it a pdf?

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1477426755' post='3162209']
Yes that works. Is this Apple being difficult and having its h*** stuck up its a*** again? What is wrong with calling it a pdf?
[/quote]

I doubt that the Forum software is Apple-based. S'not just Pdf files, either; most files get re-baptised. Go with the flow, accept the Karma, relax... Maybe the next Forum software update will fix it (and brings its own lot of 'issues', quite likely...).

Have you tried 'transcribe' ?

It's pretty good if you're trying to learn something, or transcribe something. It enables you to slow it down without altering the pitch, and you can set it to repeat a section or phrase.

It's brilliant for working on a difficult piece.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1477429839' post='3162246']
Have you tried 'transcribe' ?

It's pretty good if you're trying to learn something, or transcribe something. It enables you to slow it down without altering the pitch, and you can set it to repeat a section or phrase.

It's brilliant for working on a difficult piece.
[/quote]

I use a similar prog called Amazing Slowdowner which can alter speed and pitch independently, its allowed me to work out things that would have been pretty much impossible otherwise. Also massively handy if song was originally recorded off concert pitch or guitars tuned to Eb or whatever - I just shunt it back to proper tuning and save it.

[url="https://www.ronimusic.com/"]https://www.ronimusic.com/[/url]

Thats transcribe thing looks good though, and it looks like it guesses the notes and chords for you which is cheating TBH B)

Edited by bassman7755

Have a look on Songsterr ... they have an online tab player, and you can print the tab off. Either you pay and print it easily, or don't pay and just do a series of screenshots. :)

Beware that there are two versions, though ... the original is in G and the re-recorded Steve Vai version is in A. Once you figure out the three or four basic patterns it's a straight enough tune and fun to play.

[quote name='HengistPod' timestamp='1477482521' post='3162493']
Have a look on Songsterr ... they have an online tab player, and you can print the tab off. Either you pay and print it easily, or don't pay and just do a series of screenshots. :)

Beware that there are two versions, though ... the original is in G and the re-recorded Steve Vai version is in A. Once you figure out the three or four basic patterns it's a straight enough tune and fun to play.
[/quote]

Thanks yeah getting there a few fiddly bits to fathom out but doubt if i could play it note for note but sounds reasonable

Regular in our current set list. NM did indeed pop along here a while back and at one point it looked like he might even generate a chart or online video lesson for the song but don't think he got round to it in the end. I did try to go through all the hoops when first learning it (orig vs in G) about 10 yrs ago for another band but I've now cut back to the 'economy' version that is still recognisable and seems bearable for the punters. I was going to post a youtube clip of us doing it but the bass is so low in the mix I could have been playing anything... :blush:

[quote name='Iain' timestamp='1477515327' post='3162780']
Really enjoyed learning this one for one of my bands - just got the basics down and gigged it like that for a while and gradually added the fills - some of the fill I put in are almost like the real song!!!
[/quote]

This is what I intend to do. It comes up occasionally at one of the local Jams so it's worth being prepared in case I'm caught in the hot seat.

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1477515968' post='3162787']
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/219645-fool-for-your-loving-whitesnake-help/page__fromsearch__1
[/quote]

Just looked at some of the posts from 2013 when someone else posted the same looking for advice on Fool for your loving it seemed to cause some mixed reactions.
One quote won't mention the name but put the song down as a basic blues rock number lol.....said it's childsplay....wtf....personally speaking i think Neil Murray's Bassline is a stroke of pure genious an absolute gem

[quote name='thebigyin' timestamp='1477547407' post='3162858']
One quote won't mention the name but put the song down as a basic blues rock number lol.....said it's childsplay....
[/quote]

I did that once. We do this jam thing where we pick what we are playing, and someone wanted to play that. Not being very familiar with it I thought 'whitesnake - how hard can that be' so agreed to do it before actually listening to it. Was a bit of a shock when I did :D

I was asked to learn that few yrs ago and got the basic feel of the song down first and then worked on the fills that Neil puts in.
There is a live VID on youtube somewhere with Neil playing a Kramer and you can pick out the fills very clearly.
Sometimes the studio versions can have the fills yet when the guys play live they miss out the very techy bits but not Mr Murray. He does it all live and sometimes adds little extra bits.
I have to say i am a big fan of his and he was a huge influence for me along with Jack Bruce.
I used the tabs that someone provided earlier in the post.
The biggest prob i found was that the fills change through the song so its not easy to remember what fill goes where altho most people would never really notice. Even bassists probably wouldn't pick up on that if they were in the audience that night but def a great song to get right and i just loved playing it.
Wishing you all the very best with it and hope it all eventually just falls into place for you.

Dave