Why become a member? ×

Playing at the dusty end

Nicko

I avoid it, like the plague. I just feel my fingers are too fat. Unless I'm playing on the top string or the fingering gets too difficult I will normally move the whole thing down the board and up a string. As soon as I see double digits on a tab sheet, I'm already thinking how to play it lower down. This has become such a habit that I will regularly play everything below the 10th fret or so.

This got me to wondering if there is any real technical difference in playing higher up? Aside from using an open string in place of a fretted note I can only think of positive things.

Technical difference.?? less space between frets so some things can be a bit tight and the little finger gets squeezed out of a few runs.

But you only play up there because you hear the sounds and licks that you want. There is no compulsion altho I'd be thinking a large part of bass playing is no longer available to you if you don't/can't ever get there.

As part of my style, I'd think I'm up and beyond the 12th every number, pretty much, for some lick.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1477420886' post='3162141']
But you only play up there because you hear the sounds and licks that you want. There is no compulsion altho I'd be thinking a large part of bass playing is no longer available to you if you don't/can't ever...
[/quote]

This. It's not compulsory but why not?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1477437749' post='3162303']
It sounds completely different. A on the 12th fret of the A string is far fuller and more rounded than A on the 2nd fret of the G string. Sometimes you need one. Sometimes you need the other.
[/quote]

Agreed.

For the record, I never let mine get dusty.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1477591998' post='3163261']
Tessitura.
[/quote]

....Which for me, is D1-Eb4, although occasionaly the low D is a pain in the arse to use, so its E1-Eb4. (E1 is the standard tuning on a 4 string bass's lowest string, and Eb4 is the highest conventional note on a 20 fret 4 string in standard tuning). Although personally I don't blame the OP for not particularly liking the top end.

The problem with playing up there is that normally there is a "hole" at the low end, so it depends who else you're playing with and the context of the music. Sometimes the texture of the music can lend itself to having a space where the bass would normally be, and sometimes it sounds like something's missing. Of course, if you played in a large band/group with other bass instruments, or piano, its quite possible that the low end is provided so the bass can be "next one up" - where the cellos would normally be located in an orchestra, for example.

But, regarding technique, there's nothing particularly special but you need to practice (you end up playing how you practice.....) and of course physically, the frets get closer and there is an access issue with the neck joint on some basses right at the top. Another issue is that if your action is quite high, then you'll be pressing down more distance to sound each note and the "open" strings will be in the way of the played one(s) - but you can use this to your advantage by left hand muting some of the open strings.

And of course if the song is in the key of E, A or D, you can sometimes incorporate those open strings while playing another line at the top end, which can sound wonderful if done properly - have a listen to "Dune Tune" by Level 42 for a good example.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1477418973' post='3162116']I avoid it, like the plague.[/quote]

Same here. It's rarely called for and I thought that I would never be able to do it. But I eventually tried the Beach Boys' Good Vibrations with the first few bars featuring the dusty end. In fact the bass in that song ranges from about fret 2 to 16, so the tune makes for a good range stretcher. Sounds really good played with a plectrum (like Carol Kaye).

Another good one is the old Australian hit, Friday On My Mind by the Easy Beats... It just keeps climbing... if you like plectrum bass tremolo above the twelfth fret. I look for these tunes, now. McCartney offers Penny Lane, Day Tripper and Come Together, and probably some others (A Little Help From My Friends...?).

Edited by CrackerJackLee

If you have found a sound & style that works for you, then that's great.
But as for any differences in the sound of the bass, I quite often slide up to higher notes, and I like the sound of the slide itself.
The slide and the notes at the dusty end of the bass are integral to some songs, like RHCP "Give it away" or Macca's bassline on "Come Together". In fact, those are 2 of my fave bass lines, and I can't imagine either without the slide to the dusty end

You may not use that end of the neck much, but never consider it out of bounds

EDIT: Also, when playing "Come together" I quite like the sound of a slide back down from the higher end of the neck, to the lower

Edited by Marc S

I seldom go beyond the A on the 14th fret of the G.
There is a little lick on 'Life In The Fast Lane' that is played up there, but the most difficult one for me is the classic bass part from 'Alright Now' which is a bugger to play on a Fender Precision, So I cheat on that and drop it an octave. :blush:

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1478602572' post='3170145']
Theres no money above the 5th fret! :D
[/quote]
[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1478604195' post='3170166']
What a pathetically horrible quote. Whoever came up with that idiotic saying doesn't deserve to call themselves a musician.
[/quote]

I just took it to be a jovial post, with an element of truth behind it. I touched upon it in post #9. For "basic" or "normal" bass playing, there is a particular range and that's basically the low bit. If you go higher (in pitch) then there's a "hole" at the bottom - which might be okay, might not, musically.

Of course, we can't simply relate fret number to pitch - for certain keys or passages it makes sense to play a bit higher up the neck to make the fingerings efficient, on the eg D, A, E strings, ie not going above C corresponding to 5th fret G string (C3).

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1478604195' post='3170166']
What a pathetically horrible quote. Whoever came up with that idiotic saying doesn't deserve to call themselves a musician.
[/quote]

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/theres-no-money-above-the-fifth-fret.460836/

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1478529214' post='3169613']
but the most difficult one for me is the classic bass part from 'Alright Now' which is a bugger to play on a Fender Precision,
[/quote]

Really? I would say the opposite. I rarely play a fender style bass, but when I do it is easier because of the number of frets than playing on a normal 24 fret bass as the 17th / 19th are sort of in the middle of the top part, rather than the last dots!
I used to mess it up all the time switching basses.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1478642202' post='3170623']
Really? I would say the opposite. I rarely play a fender style bass, but when I do it is easier because of the number of frets than playing on a normal 24 fret bass as the 17th / 19th are sort of in the middle of the top part, rather than the last dots!
I used to mess it up all the time switching basses.
[/quote]

Yes, but I've only got short arms. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

The only rule is playing what the music demands. If you can make it work musically, the play anywhere and everywhere. If your playing affects the band, and stifles the groove, then tone it down.

It's about being a conscious player and it comes naturally to some and needs to be learned by others. I'm in the second camp here...