Why become a member? ×

Pete Ray Biggin

lojo

Went to see Level 42 last night and was highly entertained , and the support act fantastic.

However the stand out thing was Level 42s drummer "Pete Ray Biggin" , check him out , how can someone be so all over the kit and noticeable without ever over taking or crowding the music , amazing talent.

He's lifted that band no end. They were getting a bit tired while Gary Husband was drumming for them (witness the Live At Reading DVD for proof of that) it all seemed a bit staid, enter PRB and he's brought a new energy to L42. Haven't seen any shows on this tour but caught them at Bestival last year and the addition of the brass section has moved them up another notch. Mark King comes in for a lot of stick but that is one phenomenal band. 😊

Edited by Grassie

He's a great drummer.

Given Mark King's tendency to keep driving the song along with his playing, I always felt Garys playing never quite sat comfortably within L42. Despite being a stunningly talented musician, he plays right on top of the beat like so many other formally trained session drummers. I'll hasten to add that isn't a criticism or judgement, it's only mentioned due to the dominance of Mark's playing on the music. With Pete and Phils playing further behind the beat, it made the groove in so many tracks feel more settled and solid.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1477488170' post='3162543']
but Mark King certainly choose well
[/quote]
PRB has been a lifelong L42 fan from what I understand. There are clips out there of him attending a L42 concert as a young teenager and meeting Gary Husband.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1477488170' post='3162543']
Yep , I'm gonna check everything he's done

[/quote]

If you can get hold of the album by his band "Raiyn", that's pretty cool - at the time, they were all unknown but pretty much managed to forge some cool careers for themselves.

Featured Adam Sosner - amongst other things MD for Rizzle Kicks
Jason Silver, keys player with Mark Ronson (alongside PRB)
Rick James (on bass, not that one) - but he's played with a fair few names from the pop world - I think the earliest I clocked him was with Daniel Beddingfield
and Daniel Walker - although he has some link with Universal and appeared on the Voice, doesn't seem to have had the same sort of success in the pop world - but has one of the sweetest voices.

All lived together in a house in London whilst perfecting their craft...

• 2 weeks later...

Further to this thread, pete has also been nominated in a category of rhythm magazine's drummer of the year thingybob.

He's in the pop / session drummer of the year in the below link.
http://www.musicradar.com/news/drums/best-in-drums-2016-643947
He's a top bloke too so it'd be good if we could throw a vote or two his way if you're a fan of his.