Why become a member? ×

planning a DIY bass fly rig type of thing

hrnn1234

I've been fooling around with pedal mods for a while and I've come to the idea of building an analog stompbox with a few handy things. Nothing too fancy, so far I think it will be enough having some kind of:

preamp,
mild overdrive,
distortion and
a wild fuzz.

Nothing that hasn't been done before. Ive been doing some research and there are nice schematics available, tried already, which I would only have to tune to my liking.

I'm leaving out modulation effects as the only thing I use that's not dirt is an octaver which I wont be able to improve by doing it myself. For this kind of thing I'd also put some effect loop in the box.

Questions for you people:

would you add/remove something to this?

Is there a tried and true DIY compression you coukd recommend? Most of the designs seem to be based on the opto-coupler concept and I'm not sure how better off I could be doing it myself.

Cheers!

Thanks man . It's been a bit elusive what to pick as usually they involve building the opto-coupler yourself with an LED and a photo resistor, and this affect immensely the response of the pedal. I still have to check with my electronics-savy friend in which design is it possible to use a vactrol so it's only the circuit affecting the sound and not my hand work.

[quote name='hrnn1234' timestamp='1477477394' post='3162439']
I've been fooling around with pedal mods for a while and I've come to the idea of building an analog stompbox with a few handy things. Nothing too fancy, so far I think it will be enough having some kind of:

preamp,
mild overdrive,
distortion and
a wild fuzz.

Nothing that hasn't been done before. Ive been doing some research and there are nice schematics available, tried already, which I would only have to tune to my liking.

I'm leaving out modulation effects as the only thing I use that's not dirt is an octaver which I wont be able to improve by doing it myself. For this kind of thing I'd also put some effect loop in the box.

Questions for you people:

would you add/remove something to this?

Is there a tried and true DIY compression you coukd recommend? Most of the designs seem to be based on the opto-coupler concept and I'm not sure how better off I could be doing it myself.

Cheers!
[/quote]
Nice!

Just my £0.02, maybe include a balanced DI out with a wet/dry (clean) blend. I'm thinking similar to the Valeton Dapper

What I have so far is:

PRE sagrado poblano picoso
COMP pale green
MILD OD cream pie
HARDER OD green giant
FUZZ bazz fuss

Seems to be the designs are simple, verified and good sounding. I'll do a bit more research on the DI and ways of modeling the sound on the dirts and start prototyping.

I though of adding a matrix so IZ could swap the effect order but truth is I'll probably leave the sounds as they are when I find something I like.