Why become a member? ×

Epiphone EB-3...series switch?

I couldn't help but notice that one reasonably popular mod for a Jazz bass is to install a series/parallel switch in the circuit to give an even wider range of tones (and, depending on who you ask, make it sound more like a Precision). I was wondering what the possibilities might be for performing a similar mod on my trust old Epi EB-3.

I don't know whether Epiphone have released variations on the model I've got, but just to clarify, it's the same arrangement as you'd expect on an SG or Les Paul guitar - two pickups, separate tone and volume, and a pickup selector switch for neck, both-in-parallel, and bridge. (The only difference is that it's a chicken-head rather than the toggle switches they put on the guitars.)

1. I expect the simplest solution is to simply replace the pickup selector with a s/p switch and just control pickup volumes with the knobs. I assume that's not likely to cause problems if I want to solo one of the pickups...?

2. Bonus points for anybody who knows a component or method I could use to add a fourth position to the existing selector (so, neck, bridge, both-parallel, both-series) - some other websites I've looked at suggest a certain amount of drilling and routing might be required, but I'm prepared to consider something if it's not too complicated.

(3. Super Extra Smile Funtime Happy Bonus Round for anyone who knows a way of completing either option along with an easy way of switching an extra cap into the circuit to give it that "shelf" that a Ric tends to have on the back pickup. But that's probably getting a little too adventurous, and I should focus on the s/p switching before I start guffing around with these little extras.)