Why become a member? ×

Tort scratchplates - source of high quality and authentic looking (celluloid-type)?

three

Hi all, I have a 60 'CS P with a nice plate but it's just not quite right. Does anybody know of a source of excellent quality celluloid type scratchplates (with that lovely early '60s look)? I've had a Spitfire in the past and they're beautiful but massively expensive (£200+). I'd rather avoid the spitfire route if I can find something of near quality at a reasonable price. Thanks in advance for any advice

Try Jack's Instrument Services in Manchester (Google will find him). He custom makes just about any size/shape in a wide selection of materials, can do the vintage look and is very reasonable (I paid just over £50 delivered for a plate for my bitsa P Bass - it has the rare 14 hole Squier body, which won't accept standard Fender plates). Quick turnaround, too. Can't go wrong.

Sims.... it helps if you can see an example of the plate but deal with people who can deliver to discerning customers....
Most stuff I see at a cheaper pricepoint is awful... and you can't put that on certain instruments.

I'd expect to pay upto £100 for a custom cut tort plate for a Fender

Gentlemen, thanks very much for this information - very useful indeed! I live fairly close to Manchester and have heard good things about Jack. I've also seen some of Sims work - amazing finishes. Very good advice, I'll pick this up - cheers!

Sims tort guards are the only ones I've seen in the UK that look anything like the tort used by Fender in the 60's & 70's.

There is another U.S. seller on Ebay (not Spitfire), who does a very good vintage looking tort. I didn't buy from him when I was looking, purely because the black section of the three ply wasn't as thin as the originals, his tort was good though :) Sory can't recall his name but sure you will find him, with a bit of searching.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1478352221' post='3168558']
Anyone got a decent close-up of a Sims guard?

Is the stuff they use proper tort, or printed?
[/quote]

Sims shop is near to other sellers of plates ---very near, thankfully, so I was about to see the horrible printed stuff..which was cheap, but looked it as well,
I recall him saying he was particuarly happy with his current tort supply but that sourcing good stuff was getting difficult.

I'm looking for a white tortoiseshell pick guard for my Squier Mike Dirnt (the model with the star, I understand the newer ones are slightly different in size?)
Its same as white bass in my profile pic , but in reverse! London. Any ideas appreciated. Not looking to spend more than £20. Paint it? Exisiting plate is white but has YELLOWED slightly with age :(

[quote name='Sara SG' timestamp='1478797917' post='3171745']
I'm looking for a white tortoiseshell pick guard for my Squier Mike Dirnt (the model with the star, I understand the newer ones are slightly different in size?)
Its same as white bass in my profile pic , but in reverse! London. Any ideas appreciated. Not looking to spend more than £20. Paint it? Exisiting plate is white but has YELLOWED slightly with age :(
[/quote]

Fire an email to Tim at Scratch It!

He'll sort you out.

http://www.originalscratchplates.com/

• 2 weeks later...

The celluloid nitrate tort guard has arrived from SIMS - very fast turnaround and an excellent job of producing a guard with perfect fit. This was a custom job and I was required to provide the original plate as a template - the original was returned with the new guard. The quality is excellent - there's a fairly clear difference when comparing modern plastic and celluloid side-by-side. Much greater depth and complexity in the colour of the latter - an almost 3D effect. The guard has a 30 degree bevel and looks much more authentic on the CS '59. It wasn't cheap at over £90 but was worth the effort and looks sublime. The original was OK but the CN is a massive improvement. Ironically, now the bass has a new plate, I may sell. I bought the CS for a group of gigs that needed an older style Fender. The gigs are done and the bass is much less useful to me (though lovely to have around, especially in its current livery)

No surprise here as you only need to know what sort of market he looks after as to the quality that market expects. Not cheap, but worth the money if you need a discerning product.

Always one of the first I'd ask when looking for bass stuff.

OT, there is a huge push just recently for his Quads...

• 2 weeks later...