Why become a member? ×

Squier Jaguar - adding a stingray pickup?

landwomble

All,
What's the consensus on whether this would be a stupid idea?
I've got a P and a J and am contemplating buying something cheap to go along with them. Was looking at Pitbull kits and Stingray Subs and then noticed what a bargain the Squier Jaguar (long scale) is. Would be a great modding platform and scratch an itch to do something unusual.
Looking at it, it looks like there's plenty of room to route out the bridge pickup and fit a stingray pickup, hopefully giving a blend between P and Stingray tones.

Is this a stupid idea?

[quote name='landwomble' timestamp='1477747110' post='3164239']
Also, when looking at where to place the pup, is it simply a matter of measuring x cm from the bridge to match a ray or is there more to it than that?
[/quote]

Measure from the nut as the bridge is adjustable. I'll take a measurement off my US SUB if you need it? (It's the same as a Stingray.)

This could be an interesting project, especially as the Squier Jaguar is active, I hadn't realised that.

Not quite the same but I have an American Standard Jaguar, 2 band active EQ and PJ pickups. It's a fantastic and versitile bass.

Frank.

Have a look at these
https://www.rimmersmusic.co.uk/guitars-c1/bass-guitars-c2/solid-body-bass-guitars-c592/squier-vintage-modified-jaguar-bass-special-ss-rosewood-fingerboard-candy-apple-red-includes-gigbag-p33587/s34018?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=squier-vintage-modified-jaguar-bass-special-ss-rosewood-fingerboard-032-8800-509&utm_campaign=product%2Blisting%2Bads&gclid=Cj0KEQjwkdHABRCHiZ2gs6yGh50BEiQAA91WlkXt5iFPHeYnkPA0ofzOyLf3TsYKmfmZWmJYrZPbDwkaAsNr8P8HAQ

Looks like a lot for the money and a great modding platform...I don't need one but I'm darn tempted, particularly if I can get a stingray growler in there...

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1477746753' post='3164233']
The thought that came to mind is that the Stingray sound is due in part to the bass being active and yours would be passive. Apart from that I can't see how it wouldn't work out fine. There's a Stingray PU for sale here at the moment.

Frank.
[/quote]

A passive Stingray still has that Stingray sound, as long as the pickup is at the right spot, you just don't have "all of the Stingray sounds" available, if you know what I mean :)
I have a bypass switch on my Stingray and it turns out my preferred sound is very nearly that of the bypassed preamp... so I could have been happy with a passive Stingray after all, ha!

[quote name='landwomble' timestamp='1477747110' post='3164239']
Also, when looking at where to place the pup, is it simply a matter of measuring x cm from the bridge to match a ray or is there more to it than that?
[/quote]

I'd measure from the 12th fret (bridges vary in size, the saddles would be in slightly different places depending on set-up and string gauge which affects the intonation...). But yes, that's it, really.

[quote name='landwomble' timestamp='1477750202' post='3164273']
Have a look at these
[url="https://www.rimmersmusic.co.uk/guitars-c1/bass-guitars-c2/solid-body-bass-guitars-c592/squier-vintage-modified-jaguar-bass-special-ss-rosewood-fingerboard-candy-apple-red-includes-gigbag-p33587/s34018?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=squier-vintage-modified-jaguar-bass-special-ss-rosewood-fingerboard-032-8800-509&utm_campaign=product%2Blisting%2Bads&gclid=Cj0KEQjwkdHABRCHiZ2gs6yGh50BEiQAA91WlkXt5iFPHeYnkPA0ofzOyLf3TsYKmfmZWmJYrZPbDwkaAsNr8P8HAQ"]https://www.rimmersm...bDwkaAsNr8P8HAQ[/url]

Looks like a lot for the money and a great modding platform...I don't need one but I'm darn tempted, particularly if I can get a stingray growler in there...
[/quote]

NIce looking bass, but that J pickup is going to be too close to the bridge: if you put the MM at the Stingray spot there'll be some visible routing. You could always be creative with the pickguard... or find another bass. I'd personally use a Precision: you can find Precisions that are decent for not much money. You'll need a new pickguard 'though as the P pickup partially overlaps the Stingray position and you won't be able to have both if you really want the Stingray position.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1477757982' post='3164348']
NIce looking bass, but that J pickup is going to be too close to the bridge: if you put the MM at the Stingray spot there'll be some visible routing. You could always be creative with the pickguard... or find another bass. I'd personally use a Precision: you can find Precisions that are decent for not much money. You'll need a new pickguard 'though as the P pickup partially overlaps the Stingray position and you won't be able to have both if you really want the Stingray position.
[/quote]
Just did a quick side by side that's very very approximate (MS Paint FTW!)

It actually doesn't look a million miles off if you routed out in front of the rear jazz pup?

Edited by landwomble

I'm putting a Stingray 5 down to passive and adding an Aquilar P to it for Paul S at the moment (thread in Build Diaries). Sometime next week I should have wired it up if you want a view of how it sounds.

As it happens, I also have a VM Squier Jag (my avatar). They are super basses for trying mods. Fantastic value for money :)

Edited by Andyjr1515

[quote name='landwomble' timestamp='1477759203' post='3164358']
Just did a quick side by side that's very very approximate (MS Paint FTW!)

It actually doesn't look a million miles off if you routed out in front of the rear jazz pup?
[/quote]

It doesn't look too far on that picture, that's true, but you'd be surprised how inaccurate the side-by-side method is compared to actual measurements. As far as I know they go for a Jazz position on the Jaguar... and it's close but not quite. That position sounds great on a MM pickup 'though... but not Stingrayish enough. Even the Lakland 55-02 doesn't quite get there and it's just about 1cm or so off

But I'm sure someone around here must have a jaguar like that... so we can figure this out. I'll measure my Stingray when I get home.