Why become a member? ×

Which Hipshot Xtender for a 2004/5 CIJ Precision

JapanAxe

The other day I ordered a Hipshot BT10 D-tuner for my 2004/5 CIJ Precision, based on Hipshot's own [url="https://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=319"]website[/url] saying: '"D" tune your Japanese made Fender with our BT10 Xtender key' and 'Retrofit your Japanese made Fender for drop tuning with our BT10 Xtender key'.

When it arrived, it quickly became apparent it was never going to be right for that bass: screw holes did not align, key is way shorter than the original, post is too small in diameter for existing ferrule, replacement ferrule is too small for existing headstock hole - plus it just looked all wrong. I was going to return it for a refund, until I checked my newly acquired MIJ FSR Mustang [NBD post to follow], and found it was a perfect fit so on it went - brilliant!

I still want a D-Tuner for my CIJ Precision, which is a 57 RI with non-reverse long-key tuners. I have narrowed it down to 2 possibles from Hipshot's range:

[indent=1]BT2 - fits '67-82 Fenders and reissues, plus Geddy Lee Jazz (which is made in Japan)[/indent]
[indent=1]BT7 - just says Fender[/indent]

Both say they fit 11/16in headstock holes (haven't measured mine), and are non-reverse. They also seem to be short-key, even allowing for the fact the Bass Xtenders are around 4mm shorter than the keys they replace.

Has anyone fitted a Hipshot Xtender to their CIJ Precision or Jazz? If so, which one?

Thanks in advance to the Basschat Posse...

You would really need to take some measurements from your existing tuners, the post width being the most important. If I recall when I was looking for one for my Indonesian Squier, there are plans for each tuner if you look hard enough (it wasn't immediately obvious on the website iirc). There are too many variants to go by the description. With a few key dimensions you should be able to narrow it down to the best fit

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...