Why become a member? ×

Anybody built a garden studio?

moonbass

I work for a log cabin/garden building company in the south west.
Twin skin cabins are great if you want an insulated building. They can be a fair bit more expensive because of the extra timber and insulation material.
If you are on a tight budget, the more you can do yourself the greater the saving can be. I will happily answer any questions. 😎

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1477823356' post='3164592']
I've thought about this as well, but I worry a bit about how secure it would be with all that expensive equipment in it?
[/quote]

Me too, though if I could make it properly secure I would do it when I can aford to. I did look at those prefab concrete garages but there seemed to be lots of limitations such as options for fixing things to the walls and doors, windows etc.
I'm gonna wait till either I decide to move to a new house in the future or can afford a purpose built brick/block building as an extension to my current home.

How DIY are you? Self build e.g. steel frame, timber cladding could reduce costs considerably. If you are using a concrete slab floor I would strongly suggest getting it made to current building regs standards with insulation. The difference with a fully insulated building is quite staggering - I do not need to use the heating in my south facing 'hutch'.

Edited by 3below