Why become a member? ×

slapping the G string help

bonnp

hi,
I have a cheap DB, one of the gear for music ones, i bought SH. I restrung with innovation silvers (not the silver slaps). i Can get E A and D string to hit the fingerboard but G is really hard to get the click, Is it worth buying a G string with less tension? it may be the set up, i have around 10mm space between finger board and strings? a professional setup would cost more than what I paid.
has anyone changed the D and G to make it easier to slap? will the strings lose the tension over time? they are about 2 months old.
thanks for any advice

I use the Silver Slaps which are low tension - a little too low on some occasion but I can live with it. As part of Daf's string trial a while back, I tried the Super Silvers and couldn't really tell that much difference in tension so not sure that would help. Obviously, all basses being non-equal, it may be a totally different experience altogether on your bass. I find that synthetic strings seem to get higher tension as they get older and all the 'stretch' has been taken up.

10mm doesn't sound too ludicrous. I've played higher action on loan basses without problems but on one particular bass that had about 30mm across the fingerboard at my normal playing position, I just played it with my hand about 12" higher than normal :)

• 5 weeks later...

10mm isn't that high for slap, you probably just need to practice technique.
Sure you can get whackers or Rotosound - you'll lose a bit of tome but on the G it isnt that bad.
But a better solution is to keep practicing and get good slap and tone from that Innovation string. Although those strings are a bit clacky when slapped, compared to gut.

You could try lowering the height if you're brave enough - I presume you don't have adjusters? Sometimes shifting the bridge closer to tailpiece will lower the height a mil or so just for an experiment. But it'll also lengthen the string ... so you have to tighten it more to get up to pitch... bah.