Why become a member? ×

t.bone IEM 75 question for anyone that's used them.

Painy

My band has just ordered one of these for our lead singer after his old wedge monitor was knocked off the stage by a drunk punter and stopped working.
Looking at the spec for the transmitter on the Thomann site, it has separate left and right inputs and can apparently be used for "2 systems parallel".
Would this mean that we could use one transmitter sending to 2 receiver packs, set to different frequencies and with 2 individual monitor mixes?
If so I could order myself a receiver pack and save having to take my own wedge monitor to gigs for my BVs.

Yeah, it was the separate frequencies bit that I had doubts about.
Second thought then:
Both of us use monitors only for vocals and therefore would prefer to use just one earphone so we can still hear the band (as the instruments other than drums aren't mic'd up) with the other ear. I'm guessing we could just have his mix through the right and mine through the left then just use the right or the left earphone to hear whichever mix.
Any reason that wouldn't work?

Edited by Painy

The two systems parallel means that two system can be used within the 863-865 Mhz spectrum without them interfering with each other.

On some systems, but not this one, you can use one stereo transmitter to transmit two different mixes to two different receivers that are on the same frequency. It does this by encoding the stereo information on the pilot tone and upper harmonic - which then can be used to separate out the left and right channel information - but that is probably two in depth to be worthwhile talking about for now.

Anyway... for systems that support it...

The receivers are set to a "focus" mode. One of the receivers is set hard left, the other hard right - what results is a mono mix (in both ears) for each receiver, the source being whatever has been sent left and right from the transmitter. As stated though, this unit does not support this. A transmitter can only transmit on one frequency, its use of the pilot tone and stereo information that enables you to do this trick. (its like tuning into Radio 1 and one of you picking up just the left channel and the other picking up just the right).

Out of the box, you are going to need two of those Thomann systems for your plan to work. There may be a way however! You may want to think about wiring up a stereo to mono cable... one which takes the right channel and sums to both ears and other that takes the left channel and sums to both ears. It *should* work - assuming that the stereo separation on the Thomann unit is great enough to get a true left/right mix - warning, not all inears systems have a true stereo separation and either channel can contain audio from the other channel. Anyway, if you want to try this, I'm sure OBBM can wire you something up for not very much cash.

If you are thinking of getting into inears, you may want to read the monster thread - http://basschat.co.uk/topic/205633-in-ear-monitors-help-needed/ - lots of great information... and it'll also tell you why running with only one ear piece is a bad thing (e.g. it's a shortcut to getting tinnitus - as you'll inevitably run the volume too loud to compensate for what your other ear is hearing)

Thanks for that. I'll have a read through the other thread too (probably a bit at a time - like you say, it's a bit of a monster).
Given that the difference in cost between buying a second receiver and buying a complete second system is only about £50, I'm thinking it probably makes more sense just to get 2 complete systems.

I would wait on hearing the results with the other system before splashing your cash. Low cost IEM systems can be very low quality - especially when it comes to bass. It may be better to have a wired system.

PS when using in ear systems, always go with the tactic that you can't hear anything unless it is piped into your inears mix. If you want to hear bass, drums or whatever, mic it up and put it in the mix. Your results will be very unpredictable if you are planning to rely on leaky headphones or pretty dangerous to your hearing if you are planning to have one in ear in and one in ear out.

You may see the rockstars do it - but they are generally playing on large stages where the sound pressures aren't as loud as your typical gigs.