Why become a member? ×

Warwick battery cover

bassbora

http://shop.warwick.de/?&lang=en&modul=shop_new&site=shop_overview&&ctree=D0405358001321517424A43801|D0407846001321517424A43802|D0577478001321517424A43844&modul=shop&site=article_details&article_id=D0168603001472733876A48822&article_category=D0577478001321517424A43844

Should be this one I think...

Thanks guys I will give this a go. I trust it wont be a massive hassle to install it?

I know what you mean about them all being broken. I have been trying to be so careful over the years and I have managed to do just that for 20 and I cried all night when the cover broke.

I am also looking for tross rod cover from the same period and I know the chances of finding one is zero. It was just on the off chance of someone having a broken Thumb and would not mind selling me the cover. Stranger things have happened.

Warwickhunt, I started a thread over on the warwick forum about stage 1s. You are the man everything Warwick related. I am thinking of trying to find and old Stage 1 and I am dying to know how it compares to Stage 2 and Thumb. You must be able to shed some light on that after owning every model under the sun. How do old Stage 1s compare to new?

Edited by bassbora

[quote name='bassbora' timestamp='1478165077' post='3167173']
Warwickhunt, I started a thread over on the warwick forum about stage 1s. You are the man everything Warwick related. I am thinking of trying to find and old Stage 1 and I am dying to know how it compares to Stage 2 and Thumb. You must be able to shed some light on that after owning every model under the sun. How do old Stage 1s compare to new?
[/quote]

Stage I v Stage II or Thumb - The low mid focus of the SSII and Thumb is the main tonal difference to the SSI. I've found that the maple SSI basses (anything post 89/90) tend to be more open in comparison to the SSII/Thumb and the early (cherry body predominantly wenge neck) SSI is very mellow in comparison to all. The Thumb is (IMHO) the most focused (almost nasal) and the other end of the spectrum is the early Cherry SSI.

Old v New SSI - See above re. the evolution of body wood+neck wood (not fingerboard as they are all wenge) cherry+wenge (early) / maple+wenge (transition late 80's) / maple+maple (89/90 onwards) they have differences but then there are further (maybe) lesser variations with pup make; EMG / MEC quite similar and a blindfold test would be hard pushed to differentiate, Bartolini/Alembic/SD all give variation BUT the essential SSI 'ness' comes from the body/neck combo + PJ pups. Final consideration is that from about 1990 onwards SSI's have been all maple body/neck (other than thin stringers/laminates) BUT the body thickness, neck thickness and quality/density of wood has varied and this throws up some anomalies where tone can vary a bit. I had a 94 Streamer (wax/natural) that seemed to be made of balsa wood and you could indent the body wood with your finger nail and it gave a very soft SSI sound, whereas a 91 bass I had was rock maple (if there is such a thing) and it was very solid/dense yet the body dimensions were quite slim but that bass sang like a piano!

Hmmm have I covered it all? :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1478195571' post='3167489']

Stage I v Stage II or Thumb - The low mid focus of the SSII and Thumb is the main tonal difference to the SSI. I've found that the maple SSI basses (anything post 89/90) tend to be more open in comparison to the SSII/Thumb and the early (cherry body predominantly wenge neck) SSI is very mellow in comparison to all. The Thumb is (IMHO) the most focused (almost nasal) and the other end of the spectrum is the early Cherry SSI.

Old v New SSI - See above re. the evolution of body wood+neck wood (not fingerboard as they are all wenge) cherry+wenge (early) / maple+wenge (transition late 80's) / maple+maple (89/90 onwards) they have differences but then there are further (maybe) lesser variations with pup make; EMG / MEC quite similar and a blindfold test would be hard pushed to differentiate, Bartolini/Alembic/SD all give variation BUT the essential SSI 'ness' comes from the body/neck combo + PJ pups. Final consideration is that from about 1990 onwards SSI's have been all maple body/neck (other than thin stringers/laminates) BUT the body thickness, neck thickness and quality/density of wood has varied and this throws up some anomalies where tone can vary a bit. I had a 94 Streamer (wax/natural) that seemed to be made of balsa wood and you could indent the body wood with your finger nail and it gave a very soft SSI sound, whereas a 91 bass I had was rock maple (if there is such a thing) and it was very solid/dense yet the body dimensions were quite slim but that bass sang like a piano!

Hmmm have I covered it all? :)
[/quote]

Thank you so much. I knew you would clear it up for me. what a brilliant answer. Now I am in two minds about looking for one. I like the fact that I can go mellow to aggressive with the Thumb and I find the stage 2 very much in that area but has something different to offer. I worry that Stage 1 would be too mellow and could not get aggressive and in your face if needed.

But thanks again this has given me a lot to think about.

• 2 months later...