Why become a member? ×

My first Les Paul

SH73

I purchased my first Les Paul. It's an Epiphone Les Paul gold top with humbuckers.
It was made in Korean unsung factory in 2003.
It sounds brilliant.But I'm thinking replacing the pickups with Irongear pickups. Blues engine to neck and dirty torque to bridge. Any opinions ?

Might be worth a look at [url="http://www.tonerider.com/humbuckers"]Tonerider[/url] pickups, their sound samples are very good and they're similar pricing. They're what Andyjr1515 of this parish puts in his builds - Alnico IV Classics, I believe.

Gold top, a proper LP :) I know nothing about Irongear pickups, sorry. However, if you're looking for a specific tone, drop DiMarzio a line. I have found them to be super helpful on many occasions, even receiving replies from pickup guru, Steve Blucher himself.

[quote name='ColinB' timestamp='1477995897' post='3165766']
Might be worth a look at [url="http://www.tonerider.com/humbuckers"]Tonerider[/url] pickups, their sound samples are very good and they're similar pricing. They're what Andyjr1515 of this parish puts in his builds - Alnico IV Classics, I believe.
[/quote]
Nice one I don't live very far from them

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1477996650' post='3165778']
Gold top, a proper LP :) I know nothing about Irongear pickups, sorry. However, if you're looking for a specific tone, drop DiMarzio a line. I have found them to be super helpful on many occasions, even receiving replies from pickup guru, Steve Blucher himself.
[/quote]
I've considered Dimarzio but heardon't iron gear is just as good for less than half price

Just to stir the cauldron a little... if it sounds brilliant, why the interest in changing the pickups?

Not that I have any problem changing pickups but it is usually to address a perceived deficiency somewhere. An extra vote for Tonerider, they do some great sounding pickups.
Before you change the pickups I would change the wiring loom for a decent replacement; it is cheaper to do and you may find the stock pickups really open up with higher quality pots and caps.

[quote name='Bassnut62' timestamp='1478386318' post='3168822']
He about some nice P90s, like the original 50s and 60s Gold Tops? THse are the Gold Tops people pay really big money for and they do sound amazing and very distinctive.
[/quote]Mmm, P90s, now you're talking.

[quote name='randythoades' timestamp='1478186453' post='3167390']
Just to stir the cauldron a little... if it sounds brilliant, why the interest in changing the pickups?

Not that I have any problem changing pickups but it is usually to address a perceived deficiency somewhere. An extra vote for Tonerider, they do some great sounding pickups.
Before you change the pickups I would change the wiring loom for a decent replacement; it is cheaper to do and you may find the stock pickups really open up with higher quality pots and caps.
[/quote]

I've got no experience with wiring loom.Can you elaborate please?

[quote name='Bassnut62' timestamp='1478386318' post='3168822']
He about some nice P90s, like the original 50s and 60s Gold Tops? THse are the Gold Tops people pay really big money for and they do sound amazing and very distinctive.
[/quote]
Don't like the look of P90s. They probably sound good

SH73, most budget style guitars are wired using cheap components and capacitors so do benefit from being rewired to quality items. If you don't fancy doing it yourself then you can purchase ready made wiring looms (kits) from eBay or Axesrus.co.uk for instance that just need connecting to pickups and jack. It will take the quality of the electronics up to the level of the USA guitars. If you don't feel comfortable then your favourite guitar tech will do it in a short space of time and not charge too much.
There doesn't seem much point in putting in high class pickups and then run them through cheap and nasty components, a bit like running your blueray surround sound movie through the speakers on your phone rather than your cinema system.
You may find that the original pickups actually blossom with decent electronics or that you still want to change them. Either way it still a good idea if you think the guitar is a keeper.

[quote name='randythoades' timestamp='1478617109' post='3170320']
SH73, most budget style guitars are wired using cheap components and capacitors so do benefit from being rewired to quality items. If you don't fancy doing it yourself then you can purchase ready made wiring looms (kits) from eBay or Axesrus.co.uk for instance that just need connecting to pickups and jack. It will take the quality of the electronics up to the level of the USA guitars. If you don't feel comfortable then your favourite guitar tech will do it in a short space of time and not charge too much.
There doesn't seem much point in putting in high class pickups and then run them through cheap and nasty components, a bit like running your blueray surround sound movie through the speakers on your phone rather than your cinema system.
You may find that the original pickups actually blossom with decent electronics or that you still want to change them. Either way it still a good idea if you think the guitar is a keeper.
[/quote]
Thanks for advice.The guitar is definitely keeper.

FWIW I would say that the quality of your pots and switch and the type of capacitor used don't make a significant difference to your sound. High quality pots do feel nicer, last longer and the taper can be better, but that's all about ease of use rather than sound. I've yet to see anyone demonstrate with measurements which electrical characteristic of cheaper pots makes them sound inferior.
The value of the pots and tone capacitors and the way they are wired can make a difference, and can be worth experimenting with. For example, some people like a smaller tone capacitor than comes as stock and changing to "50s style" wiring where the tone pot is wired to the volume control differently can keep things a bit clearer sounding as the volume control is turned down.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1478621972' post='3170379']
FWIW I would say that the quality of your pots and switch and the type of capacitor used don't make a significant difference to your sound. High quality pots do feel nicer, last longer and the taper can be better, but that's all about ease of use rather than sound. I've yet to see anyone demonstrate with measurements which electrical characteristic of cheaper pots makes them sound inferior.
The value of the pots and tone capacitors and the way they are wired can make a difference, and can be worth experimenting with. For example, some people like a smaller tone capacitor than comes as stock and changing to "50s style" wiring where the tone pot is wired to the volume control differently can keep things a bit clearer sounding as the volume control is turned down.
[/quote]
I found my guitar sounding superb and there's no feedback or humming coming through even if i use distortion. Sometimes I wonder why would someone want to upgrade to tone/volume pots etc. I did once upgraded the pots on my squier bass but soon put the stock pots back as they worked better.Horses for courses.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1478621972' post='3170379']
[/quote]
I found my guitar sounding superb and there's no feedback or humming coming through even if i use distortion. Sometimes I wonder why would someone want to upgrade to tone/volume pots etc. I did once upgraded the pots on my squier bass but soon put the stock pots back as they worked better.Horses for courses.

As you say, horses for courses, and 50s style wiring adds a different (but nice) feel to the guitar:

In both my strats, my tele and my Parkwood, I definitely notice the difference in changing the pots. Everything felt a little less muffled, as if a thin blanket had been lifted off the sound, an extra bit of clarity and sparkle, certainly controllability to be able to roll the pot back and take the harshness out of the tone. And changing the pickups with new wiring added just the extra sophistication, but I doubt an audience member will ever come over to you an say 'Hey man, your new pots sound awesome...'

As with everything guitar based, little improvements will work but it is an overall sum of the parts (including the player) so a £3k les paul can sound pants into a £50 Gear 4 Music practice amp, whereas a 'budget' stock Epiphone can sound immense into a Marshall JCM stack.

[quote name='randythoades' timestamp='1478624292' post='3170401']
As you say, horses for courses, and 50s style wiring adds a different (but nice) feel to the guitar:

In both my strats, my tele and my Parkwood, I definitely notice the difference in changing the pots. Everything felt a little less muffled, as if a thin blanket had been lifted off the sound, an extra bit of clarity and sparkle, certainly controllability to be able to roll the pot back and take the harshness out of the tone. And changing the pickups with new wiring added just the extra sophistication, but I doubt an audience member will ever come over to you an say 'Hey man, your new pots sound awesome...'

As with everything guitar based, little improvements will work but it is an overall sum of the parts (including the player) so a £3k les paul can sound pants into a £50 Gear 4 Music practice amp, whereas a 'budget' stock Epiphone can sound immense into a Marshall JCM stack.
[/quote]

[quote name='Luulox' timestamp='1478624879' post='3170413']
Irongear are really good for the cash. I have changed many pickups on my guitars and the only ones that made a big difference were irongear smokestack 2 and bare knuckle, which are a lot dearer.
[/quote]
Initially I liked the idea of dirty torque and blues engine combo. Have you any experience with these?

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1478628779' post='3170454']

Initially I liked the idea of dirty torque and blues engine combo. Have you any experience with these?
[/quote]
Unfortunately not but I think the site that sells them has got sound clips and reviews. If they are anything like the smokestacks they will punch well above their weight.

i had a guitar that i put the dirty torque and blues engine in.
really well made pickups.
they sound amazingly close to the seymour duncan jb and jazz. they are not exact but i'd say 95% there. not even worse, just a smidge different.
Almost as good and half the price of the Duncans.
Certainly going to be a huge improvement on the stock Epiphones.

i've tried a few other irongears, always mightily impressed but that pair is certainly the best they make. Hard to justify spending more.