Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision bass Lacquer

lastanthem88

So I've always loved the thought of a P bass that will age with me as I play it. I have a road worn P already and I love it, despite all the Mex haters - it's my main gigging bass twice a week every week and personally I love it!

Then I see this...

http://intl.fender.com/en-GB/series/classic/classic-series-50s-precision-bass-lacquer-maple-fingerboard-black/

Obviously a nitro finish, so should she nice and naturally, not like a heavy poly finish.

Has anyone tried one? Anybody else tempted?

[quote name='lastanthem88' timestamp='1478028540' post='3166208']
Unsure. I'm interested in the nitro as I'd like it to age and become battle torn, poly basses don't have the same aesthetic appeal to me!
[/quote]

My point was that the bass in the classifieds comes with a fender bag, so it's probably the poly version. On the other hand you can get one of them new for £720, and that bass is £100 more. Worth asking methinks.

[quote name='lastanthem88' timestamp='1478025753' post='3166152']
So I've always loved the thought of a P bass that will age with me as I play it. I have a road worn P already and I love it, despite all the Mex haters - it's my main gigging bass twice a week every week and personally I love it!

Then I see this...

[url="http://intl.fender.com/en-GB/series/classic/classic-series-50s-precision-bass-lacquer-maple-fingerboard-black/"]http://intl.fender.c...gerboard-black/[/url]

Obviously a nitro finish, so should she nice and naturally, not like a heavy poly finish.

Has anyone tried one? Anybody else tempted?
[/quote]

I have a Classic 50s, but the one that's not nitro. I love it love it love it. But the neck is not too far off (in terms of dimensions) the one from the RW I got from you... so you may not like that. It is as wide but a little shallower, which may be a good thing if you thought the RW was too much.

If I were looking for another Precision, it would be a Classic 50s (especially the Nitro finish one) or a RW.

• 3 weeks later...

I had one on approval for a few days and sent it back as the sale of the bass i was trying to move on fell through! Gutter as i had a killer deal on it. Dv247 seem to be cheapest at the min.
I was very impressed with it simply as a p bass. Love the vintage tuners and bridge. nitro very thin and soft and was marking easily so would wear relatively qiickly.
Great bass regardless of nationality.
Good bargains ahoy on std usa i reckon tho as old stock will be moved for the new 'pro' range so might be worth a rethink unless nitro is the biggest factor

• 1 month later...

That lacquer still looks really glossy. I know what you mean though. The only thing I'd change on my US standard, is the body finish from poly to nitro. I've had it since new, 8 years or so and it's not really wearing

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1478026825' post='3166176']
I presume you've seen the one that's up for sale on here?

I'm far from a Mex hater, but new prices are getting hard to live with now (as are yanks).
[/quote]

I'm strictly a MIJ guy.

Blue