Why become a member? ×

Fender flats changed?

cameltoe

Anyone else a fan of Fender flats? Perhaps you can help me answer something that's bugging me.

I have a set on a P bass that are roughly a year old, bought new from the basschat marketplace. They sound and feel great. Thumpy, enough mids and highs and sustain to not sound 'dead', with just enough of that flatwound 'boing' that I like. Feel is smooth and buttery, and the tension is medium.

I bought a new set back in June, via eBay from a music store, and I'm convinced they are not the same string. They feel gritty, the sound is more high mids with more attack, and the tension is noticeabley higher.

I'm was hoping the feel and sound is a case of them not being as played in as the other set, but I can't explain the increase in tension? They are both 9050L so same gauges.

I much prefer the old set, so have Fender changed their strings and if so, which of mine are the newer formula so to speak?

Don't know in all honesty, although the music shop seems legit. 'Manns Music'.

TBH they match other people's description of fender flats- growly, punchy, gritty feeling. I expect that to get better with a few months playing in- it hasn't yet- but the tension is confusing me.

• 3 weeks later...

The current Fender 9050CL 45-60-80-105 light green silk flats are probably my favorite set of flats ever. One set lasted me over two years of constant gigging. Yes, when they are new, they are zingy, gritty, growly, etc. When they settle in after a few months, they bloom. I respectfully think the OP is just experiencing "new string zing." Turn down the tone knob on the instrument a number or two and keep playing.