Why become a member? ×

Advice needed for using electronic gear with a rock band

burno70

I'm looking at using a drum machine, a synth, a Korg KP3 and eventually a sequencer, probably a Beatstep Pro, with my ambient/prog rock band.

The problem is, being a relative electronic noob, I'm unsure of the best way to connect this all up together and also to keep time with the band.

For example, say we have a section of percussion on the drum machine that comes in part way through a song? Or we have a sequenced synth melody. These all need to be played in time with the band and I wouldn't want to rely on tap tempo.

I think I need a metronome that can sync all this together - and that the band can hear via in ear monitors (any advice on IEM's would be welcome although I see there is another thread for this).

It's been years since I delved into midi and it looks like I'll be delving again, but I think I need to be able to set a master clock from one device, I could bring a lap top into the equation, but the band members would also need to be able to hear it as a metronome.

Haha, I don't think I've explained myself at all well, and may edit this post later. But if anyone can decipher my gibberish and offer any advice that would be great.

Only the drummer needs to hear the click. The rest of the band play to the drummer as before. The only changes you might need to make are during the sections with no live drums your drummer may need to click the rest of the band through so that they stay in time with the programmed backing.

You may find that the thre way to do it will be to programme the whole track on the sequencer with the click track. Even if for large sections all you have is the click and no synths actually playing . Count of four clicks to come in and then just play to the click while you count the bars so that you're at the right place in the song when the synths etc do come in.

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1478126505' post='3167045']
You may find that the thre way to do it will be to programme the whole track on the sequencer with the click track. Even if for large sections all you have is the click and no synths actually playing . Count of four clicks to come in and then just play to the click while you count the bars so that you're at the right place in the song when the synths etc do come in.
[/quote]

Yes, this is pretty much the standard way of doing it.

Although, to be honest, if OP's band don't need to do any manipulation of the electronic equipment live it may be better to do a backing track, as there's less to go wrong. Even if there is, if there's a chunk of audio that's always going to be there then have that as audio and only bring the kit that you do need to interact with live!

Does that make sense?

[quote name='burno70' timestamp='1478104367' post='3166796']
Thanks mate. But we'd all like to here the click track - and be in time with a master clock and the other equipment synced to this. This is were I'm stuck.
[/quote]

IME that's best left to the drummer. Unless you are after a metronomic Kraftwerk-esque feel to all your songs. A good drummer can play around the click and the rest of the band play to the drummer.

Also as others have said unless you need to manipulate the sequenced parts live, or you intend to run other things such as effects changes for the live instruments or lights off the sequencer, you are much better off for the sake of reliability using a pre-recorded track. Put the click track in one channel and the music you want the audience to hear in the other.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1478199736' post='3167535']
Also as others have said unless you need to manipulate the sequenced parts live, or you intend to run other things such as effects changes for the live instruments or lights off the sequencer, you are much better off for the sake of reliability using a pre-recorded track. Put the click track in one channel and the music you want the audience to hear in the other.
[/quote]

Did that a couple of years ago for an orchestral backing to Carol of the Bells with our church worship band and choir. Worked really well.